The Nordic countries have a joint pavilion at the UN Climate negotiations in Marrakech, November 7-18, 2016, under the auspices of the Nordic Council of Ministers. The Nordic pavilion at COP22 will highlight New Nordic Climate Solutions through a series of events and activities focusing on a greener future.
How can we get the most out of the resources from the Nordic countries allocated for climate change resilience investment in the least developed countries (LDC)? The event takes place at the New Nordic Climate Solutions Pavilion - Section DEL2, Blue Zone, COP22.
The Nordic Council, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Nordic Region, is dedicated to the goals of the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement and an active supporter of action that make these goals achievable. The Council and all the Nordic countries are committed to supporting developing countries in their effort to adapt to climate change and mitigation emissions, and reinforce resilience.
Every year, a substantial amount of public funds from the Nordic countries are allocated for this purpose. Nordic parliamentarians endeavour to work continuously with their counterparts and partners to get the best results with these resources. At this side event the Nordic Council would like to address questions that continuously need to be asked by responsible parliamentarians, including:
- How can we secure that investments in mitigation and adaptation in LDC that receive support from the Nordic region also promote development in general?
- How can we optimise the value (the environmental and social benefits) of public Nordic funding for adaptation and mitigation in LDCs?
- What is the optimal mix between national funds from the Nordic countries, common Nordic Funds, such as NDF and multilateral climate funds, such as the Green Climate Fund (GCF)?
- How can we become more successful in using public funds as a catalyst for mobilising private investment for mitigation and adaptation measures in LDCs?
- Mr. Amadou Hott, Vice President for Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth, President, African Development Bank Group
- Ms. Satu Hassi, MP, Committee Chair, Finnish Parliament
- Mr. Pasi Hellman, Managing Director, Nordic Development Fund
- Mr. Heikki Eidsvoll Holmås, MP, former Minister of International Development, Norway
The discussion will be introduced and moderated by Mr. Steen Gade, former MP, Denmark.
Watch the streaming from the event: