The Nordic countries have a joint pavilion at the UN Climate negotiations in Marrakech, November 7-18, 2016, under the auspices of the Nordic Council of Ministers. The Nordic pavilion at COP22 will highlight New Nordic Climate Solutions through a series of events and activities focusing on a greener future.
Cities are changing and facing new problems and challenges: territorial expansion, growing energy consumption, emergence of social problems, scarcity of natural resources, excessive production of waste, as well as increase of environmental risks and risks connected with safety. New policies and initiatives have been increasingly introduced to make cities sustainable.
With innovative solutions and new ways of working within city governments and with city stakeholders, cities can become more environmentally friendly, and thereby increase the quality of life for their residents. More sustainable and also more liveable cities can also be more cost efficient.
Thanks to their proven expertise, the Nordic countries have developed innovative models and best practices that could provide answers to the challenges of sustainable development in Moroccan/African cities.
This forum is, hence, an opportunity to highlight the different experiences, exchange on aspects related to sustainable cities including governance, urban planning, connectivity and mobility, as well as energy efficiency, promoting networking among participants (experts and decision-makers) from Nordic and African countries.
Moderated by :
Mohammed Chakib Rifi, Administrator and past President of APEBI, the Moroccan Federation of Information Technologies, Offshoring and Telecom, Morocco.
13:15-13:45 OPENING SPEECHES
- Hakima El Haite, Minister Delegate in Charge of Environment,
and COP22 Host, Climate Champion, Morocco
- Eva Svedling, State Secretary to the Minister for Climate, International Development Cooperation, Sweden
- Mohammed Nabil Benabdallah, Minister of Housing and Urban Policy, Morocco
13:45 - 14:45 PANEL I: SUSTAINABLE CITIES – CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNUTIES
- Badr Kanouni, CEO, Al Omrane Group, Morocco
- Anni Sinnemäki, Deputy Mayor of Helsinki, Finland
- Mohammed Amine Elhajhouj, Managing Director, CDG Development – Zenata Eco-City, Morocco
- Kjell Nilsson, Director, Nordregio the Nordic Center for Spatial Development, the Nordic Council of Ministers institution for regional studies, Nordic Countries
- Fouad Zaidi, Director Digital Post & Telecoms of Poste Maroc, Morocco
COMMENTS FROM THE FLOOR
15:00 - 16:15 PANEL II: THE ROLE OF ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN ACHIEVING THE CLIMATE GOALS
- Representative, Ministry of Housing and Urban Policy, Morocco
- Pekka Huovila, Programme Coordinator 10YFP Sustainable Buildings and Construction (SBC) Program, Finland
- Said Mouline, Managing Director of AMEE, National Agency for Energy Efficiency, Morocco
- Semida Silveira, Professor in Energy Systems Planning and head of the Energy and Climate Studies Division of the Energy Department at KTH, the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Jens Chr. Bennetsen, Chief Advisor, Urban Climate, Rambøll, Denmark
- Rachid Chihani, Head of Customer Unit Maghreb and CEO Ericsson Maroc, Sweden
COMMENTS FROM THE FLOOR
16:15-16:30 CLOSING REMARKS
16:30-17:30 COCKTAIL RECEPTION
Follow the live streaming from the New Nordic Climate Solutions Pavilion at COP 22: