Biotechnology produces important and potentially useful knowledge but on the other hand it may challenge ethical values.
- What is the present status of human stem cell research? Which are the techniques, sources and different types of stem cells presently used?
- Can we use human embryos and aborted foetal tissues for research? If so, under which premises?
- Can we allow manipulation of human tissues for the production of new cells/tissues for transplantation purposes?
- Can these techniques be combined with the somatic cell nuclear transfer techniques?
- Can human cells be patented and commercialised?
- Which are the common Nordic values relevant to these issues and do we need guidelines and legislation to control stem cell research and future applications?