The joint call for proposal between the parties seeks to:
- Promote the sustainable development of each society, taking into account the cultural, social, economic, environmental and/or territorial factors of the projects.
- Encourage exchanges between the two regions by fostering knowledge to respective entity's cultural presence;
- Promote co-creation and co-dissemination of artworks and cultural products, namely through exchange programmes involving artists, directors and authors, the holding of public events and the development of partnerships between cultural institutions on both sides;
- Favour a better mutual understanding through the consolidation of networks and sharing of expertise;
- Promote cooperation between researchers in targeted fields of interest on both sides.
Specification for the 2020 call
The fields of culture, society, research and innovation have been chosen as priority areas. Special attention will be given to projects involving partners between ages 25 to 35. The aim is to facilitate concrete cooperation in these areas in the long term. Projects can have a one or two year’s horizon. Please note that the funding for the second year will not be automatically renewed. It will be granted on the basis of a positive evaluation by the committee (progress of the project, use of the previous funding, budget estimates for the second year) and subjected to the available budgetary envelope. A report must submitted by February 28th 2022.
As per Joint Statement on collaboration in northern sustainable development between the Nordic Council of Ministers and the Government of Québec signed 1 February 2013 and the Letter of Intent between the Nordic Council of Ministers and the Government of Québec signed 27 February 2015, but without being limited by the foregoing, the Nordic Council of Ministers and the Government of Québec jointly develop a call for proposals in the fields of Culture, Society, Research and Innovation.
The Nordic Council of Ministers and the Government of Québec, hereafter the parties, have been in close collaborative dialogue since the Letter of Intent of 2015 with the aim of developing concrete cooperation.
Please note that this call for proposal is open to all culture, society, research and innovation sectors.
The following fields will be prioritized:
• Digital cultural development
• Performing arts (dance, music, circus etc)
• Literature and publishing
• Visual and digital arts
The following fields will be prioritized:
• Gender equality
Research and Innovation
The following fields will be prioritized:
• Digital innovation
• Sustainable cities solutions and mobility
• Life sciences
• Innovation manufacuturing
Funding for Research trips
In order to encourage new exchanges and the development of new partnerships between Québec and the Nordic countries, the two parties wish to support travel costs for research trips in the fields of culture, society and research and innovation. For partners from Québec and the Nordic countries to be eligible for grant support, this research trip must:
• Target one partner from Québec or one of the Nordic countries;
• Foster the development of mid- and long-term exchanges between Québec and the Nordic countries;
• Enable partners to establish new collaborations, develop new relationships, or deepen networks in the fields of culture, society and research and innovation;
• Encourage the development of specialized skills;
• Start as early as April 1st 2020;
• Complete and submit the application form by the deadline of November 25 2019. This funding for research trips is intended to provide financial support for up to a maximum of $2 500 CAD or 12500 DKK. This lump sum is to be used to support the purchase of economy round-trip airfare, accommodation, meals and local travel expenses.
Projects will be chosen after a quality-based evaluation and in regards to the criteria mentioned below.
• Involve at least two institutions and/or stakeholders from the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and/or Åland Islands) and one Québécois partner;
• Be carried out jointly according to the principle of reciprocity and mutual commitment, both in regards to financing and concrete impacts;
• Foster long-term exchanges and cooperative bonds between Québec and the Nordic countries;
• Result in tangible benefits for Québec and the Nordic countries;
• Lead to the establishment of networks for cooperation;
• Encourage the development of specific competencies;
• Begin at the earliest on 1st April 2020
• Be submitted as a complete application file
Co-operation project support must not substitute the support usually granted by other financing organisations. Please note that financial support per project per year cannot exceed $10,000 CAD from the Québec government and 50.000 DKK from the Nordic Council of Ministers. One year project will also be considered. The Québec government and the Nordic Council of Ministers have each allocated per year respectively $55,000 CAD and 300,000 DKK to support a number of cooperation projects.
Please note that the Québec Ministries, governmental agencies or organisations and Quebec government companies may apply in calls for projects under the responsibility of the Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie. However, the funding granted cannot be used to cover expenses incurred by them and their staff. The funding may only be used to cover costs incurred by external partners from Québec.
The following expenses are eligible:
• Transportation costs for return travel between Québec and the Nordic countries;
• Per diems;
• Publication, promotion and information dissemination fees associated with the project;
• Fees linked to a jointly created work;
• Other fees linked to the holding of a public event (venue rental costs, transportation of works, etc.).
The following expenses are not eligible:
• Expenses related to an organisation’s operating costs and staff payment;
• Any expense previously covered by financial support from another government programme;
• Artist fees.
The Québec-Nordic Council of Ministers co-operation uses a separate financing method, meaning that each partner is responsible for the entirety of its expenses in foreign territory. Québec financial support is provided by the Québec ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie (MRIF) and the ministère de la Culture et des Communications. Nordic countries financial support is provided by the Nordic Council of Ministers in accordance with their standard terms.
• Coherence of project submitted in relation with the objectives stated in the call for projects;
• Innovative nature of the project;
• Creation of new partnerships;
• Clarity of stated objectives;
• Timeframe and work program feasibility;
• Contribution to the sector’s development based on the projected benefits and results;
• Rigour of financial arrangement and diversity of funding sources;
• Balance between the objectives and projected results in view of the work schedule and funding structure.
How to send an application
Québec and Nordic countries partners must each fill out the relevant online documents (no other forms will be accepted):
- Cooperation with the Nordic Council of Ministers: Appels à projets
- The Financial support application form;
- A detailed and balanced project budget with income and expenses.
For the Nordic Council of Ministers:
The Nordic countries partners must submit the documents (English version, PDF only) at the latest on 25 of November 23:59:00 2019 via email to:
The Québec partner must submit the completed documents (French version) at the latest on 25 of November 23:59:00 2019 via email to:
Mr. Steve Boilard Direction Europe et institutions européennes, Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, Email address: email@example.com
The Government of Québec and the Nordic Council of Ministers are responsible for the final selection of the projects and determining the amount of the support granted. Results will be made available to the organisations by the end of February 2020. Please note that decisions are not subject to any appeals. Final report A final report form will be filled by each organisation and submitted according to the terms connected to this in Québec and NCM respectively.