Authorisation of professions in Norway

Autorisasjon av yrker i Norge
In Norway, some professions are regulated by law, and authorisation is required to practice them. Here you find information about these professions.

The Nordic region has an open educational and labour market. Nordic agreements guarantee that you can follow an educational programme and take a degree at educational institutions in the other Nordic countries. The authorities work to ensure mutual recognition of degrees, partial level qualifications, or other certicates showing results, so that you can apply for jobs throughout the Nordic region.

In Norway, some professions are regulated by law, and require authorisation to practice them. The link below contains a list of the most common regulated professions in Norway, and information about which public agency gives the special authorisation.

Health personnel

The Norwegian Directorate of Health (Helsedirektoratet) is responsible for authorising regulated professions in the health sector, such as doctor, psychologist, nurse, physiotherapist, pharmacist, bioengineer, and health worker.

Teachers and kindergarten teachers

The Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training (Utdanningsdirektoratet) is responsible for evaluating professional qualifications of teachers and kindergarten teachers with education from abroad.

Auditors, accountants, real estate agents

The Financial Supervisory Authority of Norway (Finanstilsynet) is responsible for approving state authorised auditors, registered auditors, authorised accountants, real estate agents and holders of debt recovery permits.

Animal health personnel

The Norwegian Food Safety Authority (Mattilsynet) authorises veterinary surgeons, aqua medicine biologists, and veterinary nurses.


The Supervisory Council for Legal Practice (Tilsynsrådet for advokatvirksomhet) issues licences to practice law, authorises trainee lawyers, and issues permits for various legal aid representatives and legal aid activities.

Maritime personnel

The Norwegian Maritime Authority (Sjøfartsdirektoratet) certifies seafarers in Norway.

Pilots and aviation engineers

The Civil Aviation Authority - Norway (Luftfartstilsynet) issues licenses for aviation work.

Electrical professionals

The Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection (Direktoratet for samfunnssikkerhet og beredskap, DSB) authorises electrical professionals.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.