Death benefits in Iceland

Greiðslur til eftirlifandi aðstandenda á Íslandi
Here you can get information about the rights of surviving relatives to benefits upon a person’s death.

Are you entitled to death benefits if your spouse dies?


Benefits are paid to persons who become widows/widowers before age 67. 

Death benefits are paid for six months after the death of a spouse. 

If the person receiving death benefits is supporting a child under the age of 18 years, death benefits may be paid for at least an additional 12 months, but for a maximum of four years. 

If an individual dies from an accident, his/her surviving spouse or cohabiting partner will receive monthly death benefits for eight years from the death of the deceased. 

As death benefits are paid on the basis of social assistance legislation they are not paid outside of Iceland.

You must apply to the Social Insurance Administration for death benefits.


Child's pension 

A child's pension is paid to children under the age of 18 years, if a parent is deceased or receives old-age, disability or rehabilitation pension. 

Single parents can also apply for a child's pension instead of maintenance if the child’s father cannot be determined. 

To receive a child’s pension one of its parents or the child itself must have lived in Iceland for at least the three years preceding application. 

You must apply to the Social Insurance Administration for a child’s pension.

    Information on pension payments on the death of pensioner 

    Who should I contact if I have questions? 


    For more information see the website of the Social Insurance Administration (Tryggingastofnun). You can also get information from a service advisor by telephone at +354 560 4400.

    Contact authority
    Ask Info Norden

    If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

    NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

    Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.