Further education in Greenland

Young people in Nuuk
Mads Schmidt Rasmussen / norden.org
Here you can obtain an overview of further education possibilities in Greenland.

In Greenland you can apply for programmes of further education after taking the upper secondary school leaving examination (GUX). Further education in Greenland is divided into short-cycle, medium-cycle and long-cycle study programmes.

Short-cycle programmes of further education, 2-3 years

Some of the short-cycle study programmes in Greenland are academy programmes (AU) which train students for specific professions, such as in commerce, finance, administration, IT, transport/logistics and service industries. There are also tourist guide programmes with a special focus on Arctic tourism.

The short-cycle programmes of further education alternate between school attendance and periods of internship. The basic admission requirement is a passed GUX examination, but exemptions can be made if the applicant has relevant professional experience.

You can take short-cycle study programmes at:

  • Campus Kujalleq in Qaqortoq
  • INUILI, Food College Greenland, in Narsaq
  • Niuernermik Ilinniarfik, the Greenland Business School, in Nuuk
Medium-cycle programmes of further education, 3-4½ years

In Greenland, a number of Professional Bachelor programmes are available that combine theoretical and practice-oriented education. Internships are included in the programme. Professional Bachelor programmes are oriented towards a particular profession, such as teaching, nursing, journalism, social work, interpreters, pharmacists, etc.

Medium-cycle study programmes are available from:

  • Ilisimatusarfik, the University of Greenland, in Nuuk
  • Niuernermik Ilinniarfik, the Greenland Business School, in Nuuk
  • KTI (Tech College Greenland), in Sisimiut
  • Perorsaanermik Ilinniarfik, Social Educational College in Ilulissat
Long-cycle programmes of further education, 5-6 years

A long-cycle programme of further education in Greenland consists of a Bachelor degree and a Master’s degree, both of which may be taken at Ilisimatusarfik, the University of Greenland, in Nuuk. A Bachelor degree provides a broad introduction to an academic subject, after which many people choose to take a Master’s degree in order to specialise in a particular field.

In Greenland, Bachelor and Master’s degrees can be taken only at Ilisimatusarfik, the University of Greenland, in Nuuk.

At the University, Bachelor programmes are available in:

  • Business Economics
  • Law
  • Cultural and Social History
  • Social Science
  • Language, Literature & Media
  • Theology

Master’s programmes are available in:

  • Cultural and Social History
  • Social Science
  • Language, Literature & Media
  • West Nordic Studies
PhD programmes

A three-year study programme leading to a PhD degree is available in a collaboration between Ilisimatusarfik, the University of Greenland and the Greenland Institute of Natural Resources. PhD positions are offered in all major scientific disciplines: natural sciences, social sciences and humanities.

If you are a Nordic citizen and wish to study in Greenland

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, you can study in Greenland on an equal footing with Greenlandic students. You can therefore apply for admission to a Greenlandic educational institution, where you can study free of charge.

If you would like to study for a single semester in Nuuk, the University of Greenland offers study places for guest students. Courses are offered in Danish, Greenlandic and English. Guest students are admitted from all over the world, but if you are a Nordic citizen, it can be an advantage to apply through Erasmus + or Nordplus, as you will then be given preference for a study place. Contact your student counsellor at your study institution for guidance.

State educational grants in Greenland

Special conditions apply to receiving a student grant in Greenland. You must be:

  • A Danish citizen
  • Resident in Greenland
  • Enrolled in an educational programme and actively studying.

Danish and Faroese students satisfy the conditions if they are resident in Greenland and actively studying. If you do not meet the conditions, but can document a special connection with Greenland, you can apply for an exemption.

In most cases, you can take a student grant from your home country instead.

Student accommodation in Greenland

All study towns in Greenland have student accommodation available. Rooms in student accommodation are administered by the individual educational institution.

In Nuuk, most student accommodation is administered by the Joint Office of the Halls of Residence (KAF).

When you are admitted to a study programme in Greenland, you can obtain guidance on applying for student accommodation from the student administration at your educational institution.

Further information

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.