Importing automobiles to Iceland

Innflutningur bifreiða til Íslands
Below you will find general information regarding the import of a vehicle to Iceland.

Importing vehicles

When persons move to Iceland, the expectation is that a maximum of 30 days can elapse between the arrival of the owner and the vehicle.  Iceland Revenue and Customs will grant a one-month driving permit for a vehicle, to allow for the permanent registration of the auto with the Road Traffic Directorate.

Persons intending to stay in Iceland for up to one year due to employment or travel may import an auto registered abroad without payment of import duties, subject to certain conditions.

There is occasion to point out, however, that:

  • A person with permanent residence/legal domicile in Iceland is not permitted to import vehicles with a foreign registration to the country temporarily.
  • A person with a permanent residence abroad who does not have a registered domicile in Iceland may import vehicles with a foreign registration to Iceland. If this person registers a domicile in Iceland within 12 months of his/her arrival in the country, the vehicle must be customs cleared or exported from Iceland before the domicile registration takes place.
  • Vehicles with Icelandic registration numbers can be returned to Iceland without payment of import duties, provided that duties have not been refunded on export or the vehicle has undergone work abroad.

The Icelandic Transport Authority handles the issuing of permanent Icelandic registration numbers. Iceland Revenue and Customs assesses other fees payable for the vehicle. All further information is available on the website of Iceland Revenue and Customs and on the website of the Icelandic Transport Authority.

Contact the authorities
Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.