Moving from Åland

Kobba klintar
Bent Blomqvist
Here you will find information on what you need to think about if you are moving from Åland to Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden or Svalbard. You can also find links to checklists if you are moving to Sweden or going there to study.

There is always a lot to remember when you move between two countries. For example, you need to have your mail forwarded and notify your change of address to Kela. You should also check your taxation status since even if you move away from Åland you can still be considered liable for tax. You should change your unemployment fund and trade union to the new country, terminate your rental agreement and hand over your apartment, go through your subscriptions and insurance contracts, check customs rules on removals, take various certificates and documents with you and have a valid ID card with you.

Notification of move in Åland

The Digital and Population Data Services Agency provides a nationwide service. In Åland, however, matters can be taken care of at the State Department of Åland. DVV - Digital and Population Data Services Agency.

You must remember to make a notification of move to the Local Register Office department of the State Department of Åland when you move.


Moving from Åland to Sweden?

Most people moving from Åland move to Sweden, and in this case you can find most of the things to remember when moving to Sweden in the checklists below. There is also a separate checklist for persons moving to Sweden to study with 10 important points to remember.

Note: It can take up to 6 months to get a personal identity number in Sweden during the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Swedish Tax Agency. 

Moving from Åland to another Nordic country?

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country you do not need a visa, work permit or residence permit to live or work in the Nordic region. However, you must follow the rules on population registration, for example, in the country concerned.

More information

Contact the authority

If you have questions about the notification of move when moving away from Åland, you can contact the Local Register Office in Åland here

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.