Moving from Sweden to another Nordic country

Tjekliste når du flytter fra Sverige
Checklist for people planning to move from Sweden to another country.

There are always a lot of practical matters to take care of when you relocate and, if you are moving between two countries, there are even more preparations to make. When you move from Sweden to another country, learning about schools, public transport, and places to shop is not enough.

This checklist can help you in your preparations when you move from Sweden to another Nordic country.

Registration in the Population Register

If you move to another Nordic country, it is the regulations in the country to which you are moving that determine whether you are to be registered as an in-migrant in that country.

However, you must also report the move to your tax office no later than a week before departure. You are not deregistered from the Swedish Population Register until the other Nordic country has decided that you will be registered there.


Remember to get your mail redirected abroad or readdressed to someone in your family, and remember to change your address at banks and other institutions.

Social insurance and healthcare insurance

If you move permanently to another country to work, and no longer have an address in Sweden, you are no longer registered in the Swedish Population Register. You are then no longer covered by social insurance in Sweden, nor are you covered by social insurance in Sweden when you are on holiday in Sweden.


If you are pregnant, you should find out about the regulations on parental leave before you move. Contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) to find out about what applies for you in your situation, and whether you can take your parental leave to another country.

Tax implications of moving abroad

Even if you move from Sweden, you may still be regarded as having unlimited tax liability in Sweden. This applies if you have been living in Sweden and have a significant connection to the country.

Personal economy

When you move from one country to another, you should ensure that you can support yourself for the first weeks or months. You should be aware that you often have to pay a deposit for a rental property, and that it sometimes takes time to process applications for housing benefit or child allowance.

If you receive benefits from the national insurance system, contact Försäkringskassan before you move.


When you are moving from Sweden, it is a good idea to contact your bank and close your accounts, change the address for your accounts, or pay off loans.

It can also be beneficial to have a letter or a form of recommendation from the bank to present when you start to make transactions in a bank in the new country.


Give notice on a rental contract

If you have a rented apartment, you must give notice on your rental contract in writing. You will find information about the period of notice in your rental contract.

Remember that you are responsible for the apartment throughout the period of tenancy. If you move before the period of tenancy has expired, make sure your rental contract is discontinued.

Insurance policies

When you move, it can be a good idea to look over your private insurance policies. If you have sold a property, you must have it insured until the date of access. You can get more information about this from your insurance company.

You should also contact your insurance company to find out what applies in the case of a move abroad, and to get information about the period of notice.

Handover of apartment

Irrespective of whether you are vacating a rental apartment or a tenant-owned apartment (bostadsrätt), you and the new tenant/owner must make arrangements about handing over the keys, extra equipment, and any instruction books.


You should find out about customs regulations if you are taking household goods to Iceland or Norway.


Go through your subscriptions and terminate them or move them to your new address. Remember to terminate your subscription with your electricity supplier, so that you do not pay for someone else’s electricity use. Remember to terminate any other subscriptions, such as telephone, broadband, gym, and newspapers.



You should investigate whether you need to apply for authorisation or some other form of permit for the sector in which you want to work in your new country. The application process can take a long time, so you should be out in good time.

Trade union

If you are a member of a trade union in Sweden, it is a good idea to contact the central office before you move to another Nordic country. They can give you relevant information and tell you which trade union you should join in the country to which you are moving.

Unemployment insurance fund and unemployment benefit

If you are moving from Sweden to another Nordic country, you can take your saved unemployment benefit rights with you.

If you have been a member of a Swedish unemployment insurance fund (a-kassa), you can transfer the Swedish insurance and work periods to the unemployment insurance system in another Nordic country.

The period during which you have been insured in a Swedish unemployment insurance fund is considered in the assessment of when you are entitled to unemployment benefit in the other Nordic country. If you want to have your insurance and work periods included in unemployment insurance in Norway or Iceland, you must have a certificate showing these periods. The unemployment insurance fund issues the certificate (PD U1). Contact your unemployment insurance fund for more information.


You do not lose your Swedish citizenship if you move to another country and are no longer registered in the Swedish Population Register.

The right to vote

If you are a Swedish citizen and your 18th birthday is no later than the election day, you are automatically on the electoral roll. You remain on the electoral roll for ten years from the date you moved from Sweden.

A new ten-year period begins if you notify that you wish to remain on the electoral roll or report a new address in another country.

If you move to a new address in the other country while you are abroad, you must inform the Swedish Tax Agency.

Severe illness

If you have a severe illness, you should contact your doctor and get a prescription for necessary medicine for the first weeks in the new country

Important documents

You should take with you certificates and documents from the children’s school or other educational institutions, birth certificates, vaccination cards, testimonials, degree certificates, and marriage certificate to your new home country.

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.