Norwegian benefits after a death

Norske ytelser ved dødsfall
Here you can read about Norwegian regulations regarding benefits after someone dies.

In some cases, you may be entitled to benefits when a relative dies. Generally, you must be a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme (folketrygden) to be entitled to a survivor’s pension or transitional benefits to survivors. The Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration, NAV, pays benefits to survivors. 

Are you entitled to a benefit if your spouse or partner dies?

The length of the marriage, and whether children are involved, determines what you may be entitled to if a spouse or partner dies. The main rule is that the deceased must have been a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme in the last three years before their death.

A widow or widower who had been married for at least five years at the time of the death, or who has children with the deceased, can receive survivor’s pension based on how much the deceased had earned in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. A co-habitant relationship where the cohabitants have children together is the equivalent of a marriage. If you had been married for less than five years at the time of the death, and you did not have children together, you may be entitled to transitional benefits for a surviving spouse/partner.

Co-habitants must have been registered at the same address.

You apply for the benefits via the social insurance authority in the country in which you live. If you live in Norway, the application form can be found on the NAV website. More information about survivor’s pension and the application form can be found via the following links.

Are you entitled to a children’s pension if a parent dies?

Children who lose one or both parents may be entitled to a children’s pension. This pension is intended to ensure the child has an income on which to live, and is paid by NAV.

What happens to the pension of a spouse or co-habitant when they die? 

Retirement pension from the National Insurance Scheme is paid for the rest of your life, and stops when you die. Consequently, this pension is not inherited. A surviving spouse or co-habitant may apply for survivor’s pension.

Who should you contact if you have questions?

Contact NAV if you have questions about survivor’s benefits or children’s pension.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.