Social insurance in Sweden

Social sikring i Sverige
Here you can find information about what social insurance is, where you are covered by social insurance, and which public agencies are responsible for social insurance in Sweden.

In most countries, social insurance means the right to social security in the form of sickness benefit, unemployment benefit, pension, healthcare and childcare. Countries vary in terms of which benefits are included, the benefit amounts, and how they are financed.

The general rule is that you are covered by social insurance in the country in which you work, regardless of where you live. If you live in Sweden, but work in another Nordic country, you are covered by social insurance in the country of work and not by Sweden’s social insurance system even though you live in Sweden.

When you are covered by social insurance in a country, this means that you are entitled to social security benefits in that country.

Social insurance gives financial protection for families and children, for people with disabilities, for elderly people, and in the event of illness and occupational injury.

Social insurance in Sweden is administered by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) and the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten).

You should always check which country is responsible for your social insurance, sickness insurance, family supplement or pension when you move to, live, or work in another Nordic country.

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.