Social insurance when moving to or from Sweden

Social sikring ved flytning til og fra Sverige
Here you can read about the regulations concerning social insurance when you move to or from Sweden.

Social insurance when you move to Sweden.

If you move to Sweden, your social insurance depends on whether you start to work in Sweden or continue to work in your home country, as social insurance generally applies in the country of work.

If you start to work in Sweden, and only in Sweden, you are covered by social insurance in Sweden.

However, if you keep your job in your home country, you continue to be covered by social insurance in your home country.

If you work in both your home country and in Sweden, the question of where you are covered by social insurance becomes more complicated. Contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) or the social insurance authority in the other country for more information about social insurance when you work in several countries.

Social insurance when you move from Sweden

If you move to another country to work, and no longer have an addess in Sweden, you are no longer in the Swedish Population Register and no longer covered by social insurance in Sweden. You are not covered by social insurance in Sweden when you are visiting Sweden on holiday.

If you are planning to move from Sweden, contact Försäkringskassan and the Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten) before you move for information about which benefits you can take with you to your new country, and which benefits you must earn the right to in the new country.

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.