Work and residence permits in Denmark

Arbejds- og opholdstilladelse i Danmark
Here you can read about the rules that apply to Nordic citizens who wish to work in Denmark.

Nordic citizens

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, you can travel freely to Denmark to live there and work. You do not need to have a visa, a work permit or a residence permit.

Citizens of EU member states and EEA countries

If you are not a Nordic citizen but you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country or Switzerland, you are allowed to stay in Denmark for three months. If you are looking for work, you may remain in the country for up to six months.

If you wish to remain longer in Denmark, you must apply for a registration certificate. The registration certificate is proof of the rights of EU/EEA citizens under EU rules on the free movement of persons and services. You must apply for a registration certificate at before your legal stay expires.   You can read more at:


    Your spouse/partner and children aged under 21 are generally also entitled to accompany you. However, your family members must have a visa if they are citizens of a country in which there is a visa requirement for Denmark.

    If your spouse or partner is an EU or EEA citizen, he or she may apply for registration, either on their own behalf, or as a family member.

    If your spouse or partner is a citizen of another country, he or she may instead apply for a residence as a family member, but will be issued with a residence card instead of a registration certificate. You can read more at:

      Citizens of other countries

      If you wish to work in Denmark, but you are not a citizen of a Nordic country, an EU member state, an EEA country or Switzerland, you can read more about your possibilities at

      Contact authority
      Ask Info Norden

      If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

      NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

      Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.