The Human Rights Forum is a standing programme item for WorldPride and includes a democracy festival with debates and seminars. The forum takes place on 17 to 19 August during Copenhagen2021.
This year’s forum opens with the Nordic co-operation and the debate “Nordic ministers gather forces for young LGBTI people’s wellbeing”, 16 August between 10:00 and 11:30 (CEST).
Five ministers and a UN envoy
Five Nordic ministers with responsibility for gender equality and LGBTI rights are participating, together with Jayathma Wickramanayake, the UN’s youth envoy.
Moderator is Jani Toivola, actor and author.
Members of the panel are:
- Thomas Blomqvist, Minister for Nordic Co-operation and Equality, Finland
- Peter Hummelgaard, Minister for Equal Opportunities, Denmark
- Katrín Jakobsdóttir, Prime Minister, Iceland (participating by way of a video greeting)
- Märta Stenevi, Minister for Gender Equality and Housing, Sweden
- Abid Raja, Minister of Culture and Equality, Norway
- Jayathma Wickramanayake, UN Envoy on Youth
New report on young people’s wellbeing
At the same time, a brand-new report titled “Health, well-being and living conditions among young LGBTI people in the Nordic Region” will be launched and presented by researcher Anna Siverskog.
“Even though the Nordic countries are pioneers in many respects, we still have a lot to do to achieve an inclusive society. I look forward to discussing how we can promote the well-being of LGBTI young people through Nordic co-operation,” says Thomas Blomqvist, who is leading the work of the Nordic Council of Ministers for Gender Equality and LGBTI this year.
Since 2019, LGBTI issues have been an area of political co-operation in the Nordic Region, and in 2020 the Nordic Council of Ministers adopted the world’s first regional LGBTI strategy.