The content of this page is aimed at those who have received funding and are due to release a report or publication with the Nordic Council of Ministers as the publisher. Before you start work on a publication, it is a good idea to read these instructions and contact the Nordic Council of Ministers’ publications unit (email@example.com) for a realistic estimate of price and production time, including layout work, production, distribution, and publication.
Please note that production can only commence once the publications unit has received an order via the official order form.
– Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The orderer is responsible for ensuring that the necessary agreements regarding publishing rights and copyright are made with the authors so as not to restrict the rights of the Nordic Council of Ministers. In addition, the orderer will pay the production, distribution, and printing costs of the publication. The production price depends on the publication series, scope, and number of infographics. An individual price estimate can be obtained directly from the publications unit at email@example.com.
The publications unit is responsible for layout work, publication, and distribution. The layout will follow the Nordic Council of Ministers’ visual identity in terms of logo, colours, fonts, and images. In addition, the publications unit is responsible for ensuring that the publication is distributed with diversity in mind.
Production times vary and can be adjusted as required. Usually, the first proof is supplied within 15 working days. If the publication is to be printed, you should set aside between five and ten working days for printing. Publications are always made available digitally in PDF and EPUB formats. They are printed only in exceptional cases if the client orders a printed edition.
Please note that the guidelines vary for Nordic working papers. You can read more under “Four different publication series”.
– Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
TemaNord is a publication series for the results of the research-based work of various working groups and projects funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers. In terms of content, TemaNord covers all topics dealt with by official Nordic co-operation. The TemaNord layout follows a strict template.
Nord publishes debate publications, analyses, guidelines, and other one-off books in the areas of Nordic co-operation where there is a political desire for their promotion.
PolitikNord communicates policy-based content, which includes policy programmes, framework programmes, action plans, annual reports, budgets, general brochures, and other types of information published by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
Nordic working papers typically include internal project documents or preliminary documents, making them unsuitable for actual publication. As a rule, the audience for working papers is internal, in a Nordic context. The publications unit handles only publication in NordPub (PDF). Please set aside five working days for processing and publication. Nordic working papers are not subject to layout work nor are they printed, and they do not form part of the publications unit’s distribution programme.
The Nordic Council of Ministers has full copyright to all its publications. Any sales revenue from publications belongs to the Nordic Council of Ministers.
The author and/or person responsible for ordering production from the Nordic Council of Ministers guarantees in connection with the order that all the rights regarding all texts, images, graphs, tables, quotes, etc. contained in the publication have been cleared. The author or the person responsible for the order is responsible for the correct clearance of illustrations in the Nordic Council of Ministers’ publications. This responsibility lies with the publications unit where layout staff provide the images.
PolitikNord, Nord, and Nordic working papers are published under a “© All rights reserved” licence. As of 31 March 2017, all TemaNord publications are published under the Creative Commons licence CC BY 4.0 International. Contrary to a © All rights reserved licence, the CC licence permits all replication of a publication with a view to translation and recasting, for example. The only requirement is that the user must provide a full bibliographic reference to the publication.
The manuscript must be approved and proofread before an order is placed. Proofreading must be carried out by a professional proofreader and follow the typesetting rules for each language. TemaNord publications must undergo a peer review or at least be evaluated internally in a workgroup, programme committee, or similar.
To place an order, you need:
1. A good title (40 characters maximum). Use a subtitle to expand on the title if necessary.
2. Keywords. These are important for the distribution of the publication. Choose carefully from among the keywords on the order form.
3. A summary, i.e. a simple and concise description of the content of the publication (purpose, conclusions, and perspectives). The description will be used as an abstract in NordPub and on norden.org, for example. Note that summaries for TemaNord publications must be in a Scandinavian language as well as in English. In addition, TemaNord publications must have chapter summaries. Briefly describe the content of each chapter (maximum of 900 characters including spaces). The descriptions will be used in the publication itself, as well as for chapter abstracts in the Nordic iLibrary, for instance.
4. The rights to all illustrations for the publication submitted in conjunction with the order must be cleared for printing and digital publication. Illustrations must be supplied in their original size and with a high resolution (300 dpi). This primarily applies to TemaNord, as the publications unit takes care of images for PolitikNord and Nord.
5. For TemaNord, images must be provided with captions describing the content and stating the source of the image. In addition, the images must have alternative text (in the metadata of the image) in the language of the publication. This is for the benefit of those with a visual impairment to ensure that all our publications meet accessibility requirements.
6. Images must comply with the Nordic Council of Ministers’ images policy, which is outlined in the design manual (in Danish) at http://design.norden.org/billeder.
Take into account any translation requirements when you start producing your publication. The translations unit (TOLK) at the Secretariat to the Nordic Council of Ministers co-ordinates the translation and proofreading of Nordic co-operation programmes, strategies, and other predefined publications in the PolitikNord and Nord series. For other publications (such as TemaNord publications and Nordic working papers), the client is responsible for providing a translation. Please note that the translation cannot be ordered through the publications unit. Remember to factor in additional time for translation and language proofreading of the different language versions. Place a separate order for each language version once the translation is ready.
Once the manuscript is fully proofread and complete, you can place an order for production using the order form below. Using the order form, you must upload the manuscript and state the publication series, title, author, proofreader, abstract, keywords, professional advisor at the Secretariat to the Nordic Council of Ministers, and billing information. If your publication is one of the few exceptions to be printed, please discuss your requirements with your communications advisor. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions!
You will receive a confirmation e-mail once your order has been sent. The order must be approved by the relevant specialist department at the Secretariat to the Nordic Council of Ministers. Once the order is approved, we will issue the publication with a publication number that will serve as a reference throughout the process.
– Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The objective of our distribution strategy is to ensure that our publications achieve the highest possible visibility and the best possible accessibility. The distribution programme therefore includes many different digital formats and channels, depositories, and means of distribution for the printed publications.
All publications that are funded and published by the Nordic Council of Ministers are available via Open Access through our publication platform Nordpub, the NordPub app, on norden.org, in Google Books, and in libraries around the world. TemaNord and Nord are also distributed as e-books (EPUB), such as via the Nordic iLibrary (in collaboration with the OECD), at bookshops in the Nordic countries, on Amazon Kindle, and on GooglePlay.
Our printed publications are available for purchase from our NordPub webshop. Please note that not every publication is printed.
Once published we advertise our publications via channels such as Twitter.