AG-Fisk administers programmes on behalf of EK-FJLS (Fisheries and Aquaculture). Its main duties are to implement the strategies of the Committee of Senior Officials and the Nordic Council of Ministers, and to advise these two bodies.
Working Group for Fisheries (AG-Fisk) under the Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Fisheries and Aquaculture (EK-FJLS)
1. Purpose and duties
(1) AG-Fisk was set up by the Nordic Committee of Senior Officials for Fisheries and Aquaculture (EK-FJLS) under the Nordic Council of Ministers for Fisheries, Aquaculture, Agriculture, Food and Forestry (MR-FJLS).
(2) AG-Fisk is the operational body under EK-FJLS. Its duties on behalf of the senior officials include:
- developing and launching new projects
- managing projects within Nordic co-operation on fisheries.
(3) AG-Fisk advises the senior officials and the ministers on matters related to the use of marine resources, fish farming and fisheries.
(4) AG-Fisk takes part in relevant forms of intersectoral work on behalf of the fisheries co-operation.
(5) Within the frameworks of fisheries co-operation, AG- Fisk can also take the initiative to instigate discussions, projects and other activities with external partners.
The five Nordic nation states, the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Åland all appoint members to AG-Fisk from their national fisheries agencies (ministries) and from relevant research bodies.
AG-Fisk advertises the post and appoints a coordinator as per the stated procedures of the Nordic Council of Ministers’ Secretariat. The following stipulations also apply:
- that the coordinator is an employee of an official agency in one of the five Nordic nation states, the Faroe Islands, Greenland or Åland
- that the coordinator has access to the requisite administrative facilities at the agency, including office facilities
- that a contract is drawn up between the agency and the Nordic Council of Ministers’ Secretariat about the work of the coordinator
- that the agency is responsible as employer for the coordinator
- that the agency administers projects on behalf of the fisheries co-operation
- that the agency is responsible for coordination, management and payment of project funds for the fisheries co-operation.
4. Chair and meetings
(1) The country that chairs the Nordic Committee of Senior Officials (EK-FJLS) also chairs AG-Fisk.
(2) The chair of AG-Fisk is responsible for the duties delegated to it by EK-FJLS.
(3) The chair of AG-Fisk is responsible for ensuring that the group's own initiatives are discussed and that decisions are taken on any follow-up activities deemed necessary.
(3) The AG-Fisk coordinator convenes meetings as agreed with the chair.
(4) The AG-Fisk coordinator prepares the agenda for meetings in consultation with the chair.
(5) The coordinator draws up a summary of the conclusions reached at the meeting.
5. Mandate period
This mandate is valid from the date of approval until 31 December 2020, the same period as the MR-FJLS Co-operation Programme 2017–2020.