The Nordic Council Music Prize is awarded on alternate years to a work by a living artist/composer and to an ensemble or music group of high artistic and technical standards which is innovative in its field. In 2008, it is the turn of a new work and the theme is musicals and musical drama.
Twelve nominations have been received: ten from the five Nordic nations and two from the autonomous territories of Åland and the Faroe Islands. No nominations were submitted from Greenland. The winner will be announced in early October and the prize awarded during the Nordic Council Session later that month in Helsinki.
The nominations are:
- "Miki Alone" 2002, opera/musical theatre Music: Peter Bruun. Libretto: Ursula Andkjær Olsen
- Dr. Dantes Gasolin Theatre Concert, 1994 Music & libretto: Kim Larsen / Gasolin. Arranged by: Kåre Bjerkø.
- "Hui Kauhistus" (One Spooky Night), 2006, opera for the whole family Music: Jukka Linkola. Libretto: Sami Parkkinen, based on material by Mauri Kunnas
- "Patukkaooppera", 2007, musical Music: Iiro Rantala. Song lyrics: Heikki Salo. Manuscript and production: Sirkku Peltola.
The Faroe Islands:
- "Investigations of a dog", 2007, musical theatre/multimedia Music: Tróndur Bogason. Based on Kafka's book "Investigations of a dog".
- "Skuggaleikur" (Shadow Play), 2006, opera Music: Karólína Eiríksdóttir. Libretto: Sjón. Based on H.C. Andersen's "The Shadow"
- "Stúlkan í turninum" (The Girl in the Tower), 2005, work for chamber orchestra and narrator Music: Snorri Sigfús Birgisson
- "An-Magritt", 1986/2004, musical Music: Henning Sommerro. Manuscript and song lyrics: freely based on Johan Falkberget's novel "Bread of Night".
- "Martin L", 2008, musical Music: Gisle Kverndokk. Libretto: Øystein Wiik
- "Kristina from Duvemåla", 1995, musical Music: Benny Andersson. Text: Björn Ulvaeus
- "The Princess in the Clogs", 2007, musical theatre Music: Jonas Forssell. Libretto: Maria Sundqvist
- "Nostradamus", 2001, rock opera Music: Nikolo Kotzev. Text: Joe Lynn Turner, Glenn Huges, Göran Edman, Doogie White, Jörn Lande.