Rehabilitation in the Faroe Islands

Here you can read about the possibilities for rehabilitation in the Faroe Islands

If you live and work in the Faroe Islands and have limited working capacity, you have the possibility to apply for a flexi-job or vocationally-oriented rehabilitation to improve your ability to support yourself and your family in future.


What is rehabilitation?

Rehabilitation includes, for example, employment-oriented activities, financial assistance during education or training, test employment in the labour market and other activities aimed at enhancing your relation with the labour market.

Are you entitled to rehabilitation in the Faroe Islands?

All persons under retirement age who have a residence permit and are permanently resident in the Faroe Islands meet the formal requirements for rehabilitation. If you are a foreign national with a temporary residence permit, you are not entitled to rehabilitation in the Faroe Islands.

Various factors are taken into account in the assessment of whether or not you may receive rehabilitation. For example, it may be that you are unable to take an ordinary job due to physical or psychological limitations on your working capacity, or you have difficulty, for other social reasons, in completing a course of education or training, or entering the labour market. 

There must be a realistic prospect of obtaining work after you complete your rehabilitation.

Can you move to another Nordic country and take your rehabilitation benefit with you?

As a general rule you may not receive Faroese rehabilitation benefit outside the Faroe Islands, and the choice of scheme is based on the schemes that exist in the Faroe Islands. However, exceptions may be made in some cases if a suitable scheme does not exist in the Faroe Islands, and if the person concerned is covered by a defined group of people in accordance with Faroese legislation.

How do I apply for rehabilitation?

You can apply for rehabilitation to Almannaverkið (Faroe Islands Social Services), and you can contact them if you have any questions about rehabilitation in the Faroe Islands.

Contact authority
Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.