Support for assistive devices in the Faroe Islands

Sigurður Ólafsson/
Here you can read about the possibilities of getting support for assistive devices if you have a long-term need for these, for example if you have a disability or a chronic illness.

If you are resident in the Faroe Islands and have a long-term need for assistive devices, you have the same right as Faroese (Danish) citizens to apply for support from the public authorities.

Assistive devices

If you or your child have a permanent physical or mental disability that can be ameliorated with assistive devices in daily life, you can apply to Almannaverkið (Faroe Islands Social Services) to borrow a device, or for a subsidy so that you can buy a device yourself.

Almannaverkið can provide support for assistive devices and changes to your home or relocation costs if you have a permanent physical or mental disability. The aim is for you to be able to live as normal and independent a life as possible, even if you have a disability.

The reason for your disability is irrelevant – it may be congenital, or have occurred later after illness or accident. It is not your diagnosis that is the crucial factor, but the consequences that you have experienced due to your disorder.

Almannaverkið must provide support for an assistive device if the device significantly:

  • Can significantly alleviate the lasting effects of your disability
  • Can facilitate everyday life in your home
  • Is necessary in your working life.

Assistive devices can be technical devices, such as:

  • Walking aids
  • Wheelchairs
  • Special beds
  • Small assistive devices for your kitchen or bathroom

Assistive devices can also be body-worn, such as:

  • Supportive corsets
  • Artificial limbs
  • Breast prostheses
  • Wigs (for permanent hair loss)
  • Orthopaedic footwear or insoles
  • Hearing aids (administered by the Faroese health service)
  • Vision aids

When assistance is granted for some kinds of assistive devices, such as orthopaedic footwear, there is also a user charge.

You must apply to Almannaverkið before you buy an assistive device, and you can obtain support for the most suitable and cheapest device.

It is free for you to borrow an assistive device from Almannaverkið, and your own finances have no bearing on whether you can obtain a subsidy, or on how much you can receive. The subsidy is tax-free.

You can obtain more information from Almannaverkið. See the link at the bottom of this page.

In addition, you may be entitled to assistive devices in connection with your work or education, under certain conditions. The support may be granted as a loan or subsidy.

Assistive devices can be:

  • Teaching materials
  • Work tools
  • Small workplace readjustments

It is a condition that:

  • The assistive device is not commonly found in your workplace or educational institution
  • The expense is beyond what your employer can be expected to incur
  • The assistive device is crucial for you to be able to participate in the work offer or maintain your employment or self-employment
  • The assistive device compensates for the limitation in your working ability.

Contact Almannaverkið (Faroe Islands Social Services) for more information.

Moving to the Faroe Islands with assistive devices from another Nordic country?

If you move to the Faroe Islands and have an assistive device from another Nordic country, you must contact the authority in the country in which you received the device and find out if you can keep it.

Moving abroad with assistive devices from the Faroe Islands?

If you will be staying in another Nordic country for an extended period of time and you have a device from the Faroe Islands, you must inform Almannaverkið (Faroe Islands Social Services). This also applies if you move there, or will be working there.

Contact authority
Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.