Veröld – hús Vigdísar
Follow the event live here from 17:30 GMT or 19:30 CEST:
The seminar is being organised by the Nordic Council’s committee for knowledge and culture in collaboration with the Norden Association in Iceland.
- Camilla Gunell, Chair of the Nordic Council Committee for Knowledge and Culture
- Viktor Ingi Lorange, Chair of Ung norræn, the youth association of the Norden Association in Iceland
- Auður Hauksdóttir, professor in Danish at the University of Iceland
- Mikael Hiltunen, Svenska Nu
- Atli Geir Halldórsson, former student of the folk high school in Denmark and holder of the NordPlus scholarship
- Ragnheiður Helga Þórarinsdóttir, the Norden Association in Iceland and former head of department at the Icelandic Ministry of Education
- Kolbrún Friðriksdóttir, assistant professor of Icelandic as a second language at the University of Iceland and researcher in CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning)
- Dagbjört J Þorsteinsdóttir, primary school teacher of 25 years. Teaches Danish at Norðlingaskoli
- Jón Yngvi Jóhansson, moderator
Programme for 27 June, 17:30 to 20:00 (local Icelandic time/GMT)
Welcome from Camilla Gunell and Viktor Ingi Lorange
Linguistic production in the Nordic Region (17:40 to 19:00)
The Nordic language community is not only about language comprehension, but also about linguistic production. What challenges are associated with the Nordic language community for Scandinavians and non-Scandinavians? What attitudes do young people have towards the Nordic languages? What experiences have they had of working or studying in another Nordic country in terms of language production?
- Lecture by Audur Hauksdóttir
- Good example - Svenska Nu, Mikael Hiltunen
- Lecture by Atli Geir Halldórsson
- Debate and questions
Language technology tools (19:15 to 20:00)
How can IT, digital aids, and language technology help to strengthen the Nordic language community? How can they be used to promote the understanding of neighbouring languages in Scandinavia, and how can they contribute to the learning and use of the Nordic languages as foreign languages?
- Lecture by Kolbrún Friðriksdóttir
- Lecture by Dagbjört J Þorsteinsdóttir
- Debate and questions
Concluding reflections by Camilla Gunell
When: Monday 27 June, 17:30 to 20:00 (local Icelandic time/GMT - corresponds to 19:30 to 22:00 CEST)
Address: Veröld - hús Vigdisar, Brynjólfsgötu 1, Reykjavik (registration required). Coffee and snacks will be served during the break.
Online: The event will also be broadcast online.
Language: The seminar will be conducted in Scandinavian, Finnish, and Icelandic, with interpretation provided in the same languages.