Customs rules in Denmark

Flytte fra Danmark til udlandet
Here you can read about the customs rules that apply when transporting goods and household effects to Denmark

There are special rules for what you can bring with you duty-free when you move to Denmark, or when you arrive in Denmark from abroad.         

Moving from another EU country

If you are moving from an EU country to Denmark, you can freely take your furniture and household effects with you. However, you should be aware that special rules apply if you are bringing wine, spirits or cigarettes into the country.

If you are bringing in more than the duty-free allowance, you should contact the Danish Customs Agency.

You can read more at 

Moving from a country outside the EU

When, as a private individual, you move to Denmark from a country outside the EU, such as Iceland or Norway, you have the possibility of importing your personal belongings without having to pay customs duties.   

Personal belongings are ordinary household items, such as furniture, clothes, bicycles, kitchen equipment and white goods. It is a requirement that you have owned and used the items for a minimum of six months in order for you to be able to import them duty-free as personal property. 

In addition, there are also a number of other conditions, which you can read about at 

When the goods arrive you must obtain a customs declaration, for which an ‘export accompanying document’ must be used. Your carrier or freight forwarder will usually take care of this. The document is available in Danish at the page entitled “Blanketter, dokumenter og koder” (Forms, documents and codes’).    

You must also fill in a declaration form on the personal belongings. The form is used to provide information about the goods and to declare to the customs authorities that they comply with the rules for tariff exemption.  

Customs rules applying to travel, online shopping and gifts

Further information

Contact authority
Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.