Travelling with pets to Denmark

Innflutningur á hundum og köttum til Íslands
Here you can read about the rules that apply if you wish to travel to Denmark with a dog, cat or other pets, and what rules apply if you travel with pets between Zealand and Bornholm via Sweden.

You can travel with your dog, cat or ferret to Denmark for non-commercial purposes from an EU country, as well as Norway and Iceland, if the following requirements are met:

  • You are accompanying the animal yourself. In some cases, you may authorise a friend or family member to travel with the animal. 
  • The animal must be identified with a microchip. However, animals marked with an easy-to-read tattoo before 3 July 2011 may receive an animal passport.
  • The animal must have an EU pet passport issued by an authorised veterinarian.
  • The animal must have valid rabies vaccination. The vaccination must have taken place at least 21 days before the departure to Denmark.

You can find more information at the website of the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, including the rules for the commercial transport of animals, and the rules for the import of unvaccinated puppies and kittens.

If you bring your dog to Denmark

In Denmark, all dogs must be marked and registered in the Danish Dog Register before they are 8 weeks old.

If you are a dog owner, you must have a dog insurance policy, which provides cover in the event that the dog causes injury or damage to people or things. This also applies during short stays, for example holidays. You can read more about dog insurance  in Forsikringsguiden (the Insurance Guide). The requirements towards insurance are set out in the Executive Order on Liability Insurance for Dogs.

In Denmark, certain breeds of dog are prohibited. You can find more information about which breeds are involved with the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration.

Travelling with animals through Sweden

If you have pets with you while travelling through Sweden between Bornholm and the rest of Denmark, the animal must comply with the same rules as though you were travelling with the animal to Sweden. 

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.