Travelling to Sweden with dogs and cats

Indførsel af hunde og katte til Sverige
If you are planning to travel to Sweden with a dog or cat, there are several regulations that must be observed to ensure that the animal does not bring infection. Read about the regulations that apply regarding ID marking, vaccination, and EU passport, as well as how to report your pet's arrival in Sweden.

When you are travelling to Sweden with a dog or cat, there are several regulations that must be observed. The regulations can vary depending on which country you are travelling from, and the age of your pet. 

Your dog or cat must travel together with its owner. It is the person travelling with the animal who is responsible for ensuring that all conditions relating to travelling to Sweden are met.

The regulations apply regardless of whether you are going on holiday or moving to Sweden, if you are returning to Sweden after a holiday abroad, and if you have bought a pet abroad and want to bring it home to Sweden.

Vaccinations, ID marking, and passports in Sweden

Dogs and cats must be ID marked with a microchip or with a tattoo that is easy to read when you travel to Sweden.

Your dog or cat must be vaccinated against rabies and have a valid EU passport. Your vet can help you with ID marking, EU passport, and vaccinations before you travel to Sweden.

Please note that a rabies vaccination must be administered at least 21 days before departure, so you must prepare for your journey well in advance.

Your vet can help you with information about additional vaccinations, protection against parasites, and tips on how you should handle your animal on the journey to and from Sweden.

You must find out about the regulations concerning travelling into Sweden, and make sure that your dog or cat has the correct documentation for entry to Sweden from the country you are travelling from. You are responsible for having the necessary documentation available.

You can use the Swedish Board of Agriculture travel guide to find out what regulations apply when you travel to Sweden from the country you are travelling from.

Report to Swedish Customs that you are bringing a dog or cat into Sweden

You must always remember to register your pet with Swedish Customs (Tullverket) when you are travelling to Sweden with your dog or cat.

If you have a pet with you when you are travelling through Sweden between Bornholm and the rest of Denmark, the animal must satisfy the same regulations as if you were travelling with it to Sweden.

Banned dog breeds in Sweden

In several Nordic countries, certain dog breeds are banned.

There is no ban on specific dog breeds in Sweden, but dogs with an overly combative nature and that are inclined to bite and attack people and other dogs are not permitted.

Pet insurances in Sweden

If you are a dog or cat owner, pet liability insurance can provide cover in the event of your dog or cat causing damage to people or property.

It is not a requirement to insure your dog or cat in Sweden, but it can be a necessary insurance to have, as veterinary treatment can be expensive.

When you travel abroad with your dog or cat, you should check that your pet insurance is valid in the country you are traveling to.

Register of dogs and cats in Sweden

The Swedish Board of Agriculture has both a dog register and a cat register.

If you are a dog owner and live permanently in Sweden, you must register yourself and your dog in the central dog register.

If you are a cat owner and live permanently in Sweden, you must register yourself and your cat in the central cat register. This applies for both outdoor and indoor cats.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.