Electronic identification in Sweden

Kvinde kigger på mobiltelefon
Paul Hanaoka / Unsplash
In Sweden, you can perform digital tasks securely using electronic identification, also called e-identification (eID) or BankID. Here, you can read about what e-identification is, how it works, who can get it, and what it can be used for.

BankID is by far the most widely used e-identification in Sweden. Most private businesses and public agencies that offer digital services requiring the user to log in and provide identification use BankID. However, BankID is not the only e-identification system in Sweden.

What is Swedish e-identification?

Swedish e-identification is a way of identifying yourself electronically when you use digital services. It is a secure and practical way to confirm your identity that replaces the physical ID-card. It enables you to use public services, log in to bank accounts, use electronic signatures, and much more, all online.

How does Swedish e-identification work?

Swedish e-identification combines your personal identity number with a code or a key. This combination creates a unique digital signature that confirms your identity and provides you with access to various online services.

What can you use Swedish e-identification for?

Swedish e-identification opens doors to various digital services:

  • Public services: You can log in to the websites of public agencies and perform tasks such as changing your address and submitting tax returns, and accessing health-related services.
  • Bank services: You can log in to your bank account, transfer money, check your balance, and much more.
  • Electronic signature: You can sign digital documents and contracts online.
  • Shopping and services: You can make purchases online and log in securely to various services.

What types of e-identification are there in Sweden?

There are three established e-identifications that you can get as a private individual in Sweden.

  • BankID (issued by banks): You must have a Swedish personal identity number and be a customer in one of the banks that issues BankID. The banks have different age requirements, but if you are under 18 you must have the consent of your parent/guardian.
  • Freja+ (issued by Freja eID Group AB): You must have a Swedish personal identity number or a confirmed coordination number, valid ID documentation, and must not have lived abroad for more than three years. If you have a coordination number, you must either be registered in the Swedish Population Register database or must have been deregistered less than three years ago.
  • AB Svenska Pass (issued by the Swedish Tax Agency, Skatteverket): You must be registered in the Swedish Population Register, must be at least 13, and be able to prove your identity. If you are under 18 you must have the consent of your parent/guardian.

How do you get Swedish e-identification?

Follow these steps to get your e-identification in Sweden

  1. Choose a provider: Choose one of the approved providers of Swedish e-identification, such as your bank or another service provider.
  2. Visit the provider’s website: Go to the provider’s website and follow the instructions to apply for e-identification.
  3. Identification: You must provide identification using your personal identity number.
  4. Validation: The provider will validate the information you have provided and issue your e-identification.
  5. Activation: Follow the instructions to activate your e-identification.

Who can get Swedish e-identification?

To get Swedish e-identification you must satisfy certain criteria:

  1. Residence in Sweden: You must be registered at an address in Sweden.
  2. Personal identity number: You must have a personal identity number from the Swedish Population Register. However, you can obtain Freja+ if you have a confirmed coordination number.

Can you get Swedish e-identification with a coordination number?

It is the provider of e-identification that decides whether you can get e-identification through them. Contact the provider for the e-identification you are considering getting.

An e-identification can be issued to a person with a coordination number according to the Swedish public agency DIGG, which investigates and approves Swedish e-identifications. However, the organisation that issues the e-identification must first be able to prove to DIGG that they can identify you securely when you apply.

Can you get Swedish e-identification if you live abroad?

It is the provider of the e-identification that decides if you can get an e-identification through them - for example, whether you must have a Swedish personal identity number, a coordination number, or be registered in the Swedish Population Register.

Do you have the right to Swedish e-identification?

In Sweden, there are no legal provisions that govern who can have e-identification. This means that you cannot demand, for example, a Bank ID. In practice, the banks themselves decide who they give a BankID to.

Further information and contacts

For more detailed information about Swedish e-identification and how to apply, you can visit the websites of the respective providers or read more on elegitimation.se.

Contact agency or bank
Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.