Passport and visa requirements when entering Sweden

Pas med stempler

Pas med stempler

ConvertKit / Unsplash
Read about the regulations regarding passports and visas when travelling to Sweden as a Nordic citizen, or a citizen of an EU/EEA country or a third country. See what applies when you are travelling with minors, if you are denied entry, or if you need consular protection.

It is important to be well informed about the entry regulations when you are travelling to Sweden, and to make sure you have the necessary documents with you to avoid problems at the border. 

Must you have a passport with you when you are travelling to Sweden?

When you are travelling to Sweden, your nationality and other factors determine whether you need a passport. If you are travelling with family members from countries outside the EU, be aware that specific rules apply to them. 

  1. Nordic citizens: If you are a Nordic citizen, you normally do not need to show a passport when you are travelling to Sweden. However, the Swedish Police recommend that you bring either a passport or a national ID card to prove your identity. You can generally also use your driving licence as identification.
  2. EU/EEA citizens: Sweden is part of the Schengen Agreement, and EU/EEA citizens from Schengen countries generally do not need to show their passports when entering Sweden. However, it is recommended that you bring a valid identification document, such as a passport or an ID card, in case there are questions about your identity or purpose of visit.
  3. EU/EEA citizens from countries that are not part of the Schengen Agreement: Special rules apply for EU countries that are not part of the Schengen Agreement. When travelling to and from these countries, a minor border control is carried out, but you can enter Sweden without a passport if you are an EU citizen and have a valid national ID card.
  4. Third-country citizens: Third-country citizens, i.e. people from countries outside the EU/EEA and the Schengen Area, must normally show a valid passport and, in some cases, a visa on entry to Sweden. It is important to check out the specific requirements for your country to avoid problems at the border control.

Children and minors travelling to Sweden

Children and young persons under 18 must have their own travel documents when they travel to Sweden. If they are coming from countries or areas for which Sweden requires that citizens have a visa, they must also have their own visas.

However, a minor who is a Nordic citizen may travel with their parent or guardian without a travel document if they are citizens of one of the Nordic countries or are EEA citizens and live in an EU/EEA country.

In order to confirm the right of entry, the parent/guardian must show a valid travel document and documentation that confirms the identity, the right to entry, and status as the child’s parent/guardian. This can be a birth certificate, a population registration certificate, or some other official documentation. Written permission from the parent/guardian who is not travelling may also be required.

For school classes, clubs or other groups of minors for which a teacher or some other person is responsible, the right to entry to Sweden can be assessed by the responsible adult showing a list of people in the group. The list must include:

  • personal information about the minors,
  • consent from the parents/guardians about the minors’ participation and that the accompanying adult on the journey is responsible.

The responsible adult must also be able to confirm their own right to entry and residence. In addition, the responsible person must be able to show clearly that the minors are participating in an organised group journey, such a school or leisure-time activity.

For minors who are not EEA citizens, but are living with a residence permit in a member country, the responsible teacher or similar must complete the form from the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket), “List of participants on school journeys within the EU”.

Valid travel documents in Sweden

You should also have valid travel documents, such as a passport or ID card, with you to Sweden, so that you can prove your identity if necessary.

Driving licences, bank cards or tax cards are not regarded as valid travel documents in Sweden, and can therefore be rejected as proof of identity. 

In some cases, a national ID card can be acceptable as identification on entry into Sweden. However, it is always a good idea to bring your passport as backup if you are travelling from a country outside the EU/EEA.

Validity of passports in Sweden

If you are a citizen of a Schengen country and are travelling to Sweden, your travel documents must be valid on the day of travel.

If you are travelling to Sweden from a country outside the Schengen Area, your passport must not be older than 10 years, and must be valid for at least 3 months after your planned journey home. 

You are responsible for checking that you have valid travel documentation with you to Sweden. If your passport is due to expire shortly, it can be a good idea to renew it before you travel. 

Visas in Sweden

If you are not a citizen of an EU country and want to visit Sweden for up to 90 days, you may need to apply for a visa. A visa is valid for entry and a stay in a Schengen country for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Whether you need a visa depends on your home country and whether you have a residence permit in another Schengen country or live in an EU country.

If you have a valid residence permit from another Schengen country, you do not need to apply for a visa to visit Sweden for up to 90 days. A visa normally gives entry to all Schengen countries, but in some cases it will only apply for a stay in Sweden or certain other Schengen countries. If you want to visit Sweden for longer than 90 days, you must apply for a visitor’s permit.

Other important travel documents in Sweden

In addition to your passport and a visa, it can be useful to bring other documents, such as travel insurance, booking confirmations, and address you will be staying at in Sweden. These may be necessary in the event of questions from the immigration authorities.

If you are denied entry to Sweden

Sweden can refuse entry for you or your family for reasons of public order, security, or health. This requires that the authorities can demonstrate that you or your family pose a genuine, immediate and sufficiently serious threat. You are entitled to receive the authorities’ decision in writing, including the grounds for refusal and information about whether you can appeal and the deadline for an appeal.

If you are not permitted to enter Sweden, you will normally be sent back to your home country at your own expense.

Consular protection in Sweden.

In the event of emergency situations or problems during your stay, you can apply for consular assistance from your home country’s embassy or consulate in Sweden.

Further information

You can get further information about travelling into Sweden from the Swedish Police and the Swedish Migration Agency.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.