Right to healthcare services in Åland

Hälsovård och socialförsäkring på Åland
In this section you will find information about your right to healthcare services in Åland. And what to do if you fall ill while on holiday or during a temporary stay in Åland.

In the link Right to healthcare services in Finland you can read about your right to Kela benefits if you live or work in Finland. The rules also apply to Åland.

Healthcare in Åland

Anyone who lives in Åland permanently is entitled to healthcare services. The healthcare services that are provided by the Province include services at health centres, specialist care (hospitals), health information, consultations for pregnant women and newborn children, school healthcare for pupils, occupational health care for employees, student healthcare, dentistry, mental health services, rehabilitation and environmental health.

If you work in Åland, you are entitled to the Province’s healthcare services whether you live in Åland permanently or not. Students from all the Nordic countries are also entitled to the Province’s healthcare services in Åland. If this is the case, you can get a certificate from Kela/FPA of your right to healthcare benefits in Finland, and with this you can prove your right to healthcare benefits in the public health care system.

Moreover, Finland’s international agreements on social security and healthcare can give individuals from countries outside the EU the right to use the services of the public healthcare system. You can find out more about these agreements on Kela’s website:

Health centres in Åland

There are two health centres in Åland. If you fall ill you should first go to the health centre in either Mariehamn or Godby. If you need hospital care a doctor at the health centre can write a referral to the hospital for you. A charge is generally made for visits to health centres and hospitals.

You can get information on social welfare services from the municipalities in Åland.

Contact the authority

If you have questions about health care in Åland, you can contact Åland’s healthcare service

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.