Sickness compensation in Sweden

Svensk førtidspension
Here you can read about sickness compensation (sjukersättning) in Sweden, the conditions you must satisfy in order to apply for sickness compensation, and how you can take sickness compensation from Sweden with you to other countries. If you have worked in two countries, you can also read about how to apply for sickness compensation from more than one country.

Sweden does not have disability pension like the other Nordic countries. Instead, there is a sickness benefit called sickness compensation.

What are the conditions for receiving sickness compensation in Sweden?

Sickness compensation is a benefit you can receive if you are 19 or over, and will probably never be able to work full-time because of sickness, injury or disability.

In order to receive sickness compensation in Sweden, you must be covered by social insurance in Sweden, and you must have been covered by social insurance when you became sick. If you are covered by social insurance in a country, it is that country’s regulations that determine whether you are entitled to social insurance benefits.

How is sickness compensation calculated?

The amount of sickness compensation (sjukersättning) you receive depends on the income you have had. If you have not worked, or if you have had low income, you will receive guarantee benefit (garantiersättning). The amount you can receive as guarantee benefit depends on your age and how long you have lived in Sweden.

How do I apply for sickness compensation from Sweden?

Contact the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) if you want to apply for sickness compensation.

How do I apply for sickness compensation from another Nordic country?

If you live in Sweden, and want to apply for sickness compensation from another Nordic country, you should contact the equivalent of Försäkringskassan in the other country.

How do I apply for sickness compensation (disability pension) from two different countries?

If you want to apply for sickness compensation from two or more Nordic countries, you should be aware that the agencies in the countries may have different requirements regarding whether you can be granted sickness compensation.

If you receive a pension or compensation from another country, it is important that you notify Försäkringskassan. You must also notify Försäkringskassan if your pension or compensation from the other country/countries changes. If you do this, you will avoid having to pay back money.

Which supplementary benefits may I be entitled to in Sweden?

If you receive sickness compensation from Sweden, you may be entitled to housing supplement (bostadstillägg).

Can I take Swedish sickness compensation to another Nordic country?

    You may take your Swedish sickness compensation to another Nordic country.

    If you move abroad permanently, you must notify Försäkringskassan. It is important that you give Försäkringskassan your address and the bank and account number into which you want your sickness compensation paid.

    Am I allowed to work while receiving sickness compensation?

    If you want to know how much you are allowed to earn, or what you need to do if you want to start working while receiving sickness compensation, you should contact Försäkringskassan to see what applies in your case.

    How is sickness compensation paid in the event of death?

    The Swedish sickness compensation is paid to the deceased’s estate up to and including the month in which the person died. If you are a relative of the deceased, you do not need to do anything.

    Where do I pay tax when I receive Swedish sickness compensation abroad?

    You can find general information about tax between the Nordic countries on the Nordic tax portal, Nordisk eTax.

    Who should I contact if I have questions?

    Call the Försäkringskassan Customer Centre at +46 (0)771-524 524, or look on the Försäkringskassan website for more information.

    More information

    Contact agency
    Ask Info Norden

    Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

    NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

    Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.