Child benefit in Greenland

Grønlandsk børnetilskud
Here you can read about child benefit in Greenland.

In Greenland, child benefit is given to families: however, not all families are entitled to receive child benefit.

What is Greenlandic child benefit?

Child benefit is a benefit to support the child’s care, and must therefore be used for the child.

Whether you are entitled to Greenlandic child benefit depends on your income as a parent, and the size of the benefit is also adjusted according to your income. For the most part, those who are offered child benefit are low-income families.

What conditions must be met in order to receive Greenlandic child benefit?

In order to receive child benefit, the following conditions must be met:

  • Your child must be under 18 years of age
  • Your child must have Danish citizenship
  • Your child must be registered as a resident of Greenland
  • Your child must not be placed in care outside the home 
  • Your child must not be married

How to apply

In Greenland you cannot apply for child benefit, as it will automatically be paid on the basis of your annual income. If you move from one municipality to another, the child benefit will automatically move with you.

If you have recently moved to Greenland, you will be paid child benefit, if you are entitled to it, once you are registered with the national population register as a resident.

You will cease to receive child benefit when the child becomes 18 years of age.

If your circumstances alter, for example if you get married or divorced, take sick leave or retire, you are obliged to inform the municipality.

If you move abroad

You can only get receive Greenlandic child benefit if you live and have your registered address in Greenland. You cannot therefore take the child allowance with you if you move away from Greenland.

However, you can still receive child benefit even if your child does not live in Greenland – for example if your child is attending continuation school or is temporarily resident abroad.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.