Child support in Denmark

Børnebidrag i Danmark
If a child's parents do not live together, the parent who does not provide for the child may be required to pay child support to the other parent.

Both parents have a duty to support their child. If you do not live with your child, for example due to divorce, you may be required to pay child support to the parent who provides for the child.

The Agency of Family Law can determine the size of the contribution if the parents cannot agree on this.   The Agency of Family Law will only determine contributions if an application is made for them to do so.

Child support must be paid until the child is 18 years of age. If the child is over 18 and in full-time education, education contributions must in some cases be paid until the child is 24.

The parent who provides for the child is also entitled to request supplementary contributions from the other parent in connection with naming/baptism, confirmation or the like, and other special occasions. You can read more at the website of the Agency of Family Law.

Child support to a child in another country

It has no bearing on the child support if the recipient of the support moves to another country.  

If there already is a child support contribution, it can be recovered in Denmark if the contributor lives here.   

If there is not already a contribution, the Agency of Family Law in Denmark may determine the amount on the basis of the contributor’s income. This applies irrespective of whether it is the contributor or the recipient of the contribution who is resident in Denmark.

The taxation rules in the country where the contributor lives may influence the amount of the contribution.  Contributions to a child living in Denmark are not set lower than the normal contribution. 

If you have any questions on this, you can contact the Agency of Family Law.    

Contact authority
Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.