Sickness allowance in Åland

Inkomster vid sjukdom på Åland
In this section you will find information on how employees’ incomes are secured if they fall ill. If you fall ill you can either get sick pay from your employer or sickness allowance from Kela/FPA.

The right to social security provided by Kela previously required you to have worked in Finland for at least 4 months with working hours of at least 18 hours a week. This requirement was removed on 1 April 2019. Read more about this here:

The same rules apply in Åland as in Finland. You can read about this in the section Sickness allowance in Finland.

Are you moving to Åland?

If you move to Åland and get sickness allowance from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, the country you move from will probably pay your support until the end of the payment period even if you have moved to Åland.

More information

Here you can read about sickness allowance if you move to Åland from the Nordic countries:

Contact the authority

If you have questions about sickness allowance, you can contact Kela

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.