Tax in Norway

Skatt i Norge
Here you can read about tax regulations in Norway.

The basic rule for tax is that you pay tax in the country in which you work and earn money. However, you do not pay tax in two countries on the same income. This is regulated in the double taxation agreement between Norway and most of the EEA countries.

If you work in Norway, you normally pay tax on your salary in Norway. If you are registered in the National Registry in Norway, your employer can retrieve your tax deduction card electronically from the Norwegian Tax Administration (Skatteetaten). If you are not registered in the National Registry in Norway or have a Norwegian national ID number, you should contact your nearest tax office to apply for a tax deduction card. 

There are different types of tax that apply to you as a private individual living and working in Norway. On the Norwegian Tax Administration website, you can find information about the tax system in Norway, tax return (skattemelding), information about tax deductions for which you may be eligible, charges, and other relevant information. 

If you have questions about taxation when you move from another Nordic country to Norway and start to work or study there, you can contact the Norwegian Tax Administration for more information.

You can also find information on the Nordic tax portal, Nordisk eTax. The portal is for people who live in one Nordic country and have income or activities in another country. On the portal you can find general information about tax, and you can send questions about taxation directly to the relevant tax authorities.

If you move from Norway, it is your work and where you live that determine where you pay tax and for what. You must clarify the matter with the tax authorities in the country/countries in question.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.