Unemployment benefit in Greenland

Rød båt utenfor Ilulissat
Silje Bergum Kinsten/norden.org
Here you can read about the unemployment benefit to which you may be entitled if you become unemployed in Greenland.

Greenland does not have unemployment insurance funds, but you may be entitled to receive unemployment benefit from the municipality while you are unemployed.

If you become unemployed, you should first of all contact your local Majoriaq centre. Majoriaq centres are found in all Greenlandic towns. They arrange offers for the unemployed, administer case processing and applications for benefits, and provide rehabilitation to the long-term unemployed. Majoriaq can help you if you wish to participate in skills enhancement activities or improve your qualifications, so that you have a better chance of getting a new job.

What conditions do you need to meet?

In order to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must have become unemployed through no fault of your own. The size of the benefit depends on your employment for the 13 weeks before you became unemployed. You cannot therefore receive unemployment benefit if you have just completed a programme of training or study.

In addition, you must:  

  • Be at least 18 years of age, or have dependents
  • Be registered with the national population register in Greenland
  • Belong to the labour force. This means that you must have worked at least 182 hours in the past 13 weeks.

When you receive unemployment benefit, there are a number of duties you must fulfil. If you fail to do so, you could risk losing your benefit. Accordingly, you must:

  • Accept any work offered by the municipality
  • Participate in the compilation of your own plan of action

Attend agreed offers of skills enhancement, employment or activation

How do you apply for unemployment benefit in Greenland?

At your local Majoriaq centre, you can obtain help in seeking unemployment benefit. You will be provided with an application form which you must complete. Remember to bring:

  • Documentation that you are no longer working, e.g. notice of termination or expiry of contract
  • Pay slips for the past 3 months or 13 weeks
  • Any educational certificates
  • Any course certificates
  • Your tax card
  • Your account number

The staff at Majoriaq will immediately assess whether you are eligible for unemployment benefit, and if so, the size of the benefit. You will then receive an answer to your application straight away.

Duty to provide information

You are required to inform your local Majoriaq centre of any changes in your private circumstances that may affect your unemployment benefit, such as a change of address, an offer of work, or being granted another public benefit.

If you fail to provide this information, you may have to repay the benefit.

Contact authority
Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.