Several of the dictionaries have been funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers and the Nordic Culture Fund. Please let us know if we have missed anything out.
- Den Danska Ordbog (DDO): Approx. 95,000 entries, explanations, grammar notes, quotes, terms and expressions. Danish/Danish.
- Historisk Ordbok 1700-1950 (ODS): Historical dictionary of the Danish language, 1700–1950. Free.
- Sproget.dk: website of the Danish Language Council, with extensive search function. Danish/Danish. Free.
- Retskrivningsordbogen: the latest edition of the Danish Orthography Dictionary. Free.
- Dansk-og-svensk.dk: website with 40 free Danish/Swedish dictionaries, including searches of over 74,000 Swedish words and free help translating difficult words between Danish and Swedish.
- Svenska Akademiens Ordlista (SAOL): The Swedish Academy Glossary is an orthographic dictionary. The web version consists of scanned copies. Also available as a mobile app with search function (paid service).
- Svenska Akademiens Ordbok (SAOB): is a dictionary of old Swedish. Free.
- Project Runeberg : a collection of scanned dictionaries. All of them are free to use, e.g. eight different editions of the Swedish Academy Glossary (1874-1991, a Swedish Etymological Dictionary and a Swedish-Norwegian dictionary.
- Rikstermbanken: Sweden's national term bank. It contains terms and concepts on a wide range of subjects. The terms are mainly in Swedish but several of Sweden's minority languages are also covered, as well as other languages, including English, French, German and Russian. Rikstermbanken is free and open to all.
- Finlandssvensk ordbok: Finland-Swedish Dictionary the latest (2008) edition by the Institute for the Languages of Finland. Free.
- Sprotin.fo: a publisher, which provides access to 16 Faroese dictionaries. Free.
- Ordbok.uib.no: Norwegian dictionary (Nynorsk and Bokmål). Service by the Norwegian Language Council and the University of Bergen. Free.
- Norsk Ordbok: Norwegian dictionary (Nynorsk and Bokmål) by the University of Oslo. Free.
- The Database of Modern Icelandic Inflection (DMII): a tool for conjugating and inflecting Icelandic words. Free.
Icelandic/various languages, including Nordic
- ISLEX: a free Icelandic/Swedish, Icelandic/Danish and Icelandic/Norwegian dictionary.
- Isländsk ordbok: Icelandic/English and English/Icelandic dictionary. Charges apply.
- Orðabanki: an Icelandic dictionary from and to other Nordic languages. Free.
- Snara.is: Icelandic dictionary to and from Danish, English, French and Spanish. Charges apply.
- Frasar.net Danish/Icelandic phrases with Danish audio. Free.
- Lexin: Finnish/Swedish and Swedish/Finnish. Free.
- Kielitoimiston sanakirja: (The New Dictionary of Modern Finnish). Finnish/Finnish dictionary. Free.
- Term Bank TEPA: Collection of technical glossaries compiled by the Finnish Terminology Centre. Gratis.
- Ordbok från grönländska språksekretariatet: The Greenland Language Secretariat’s website has a Greenlandic/Danish dictionary. Free.
- Dávvi Girji: Norwegian/Northern Saami + Northern Saami/Norwegian. Free.
- Satni.org: Lule Saami, Northern Saami, Southern Saami. Free.
- Anders Kintel Julevsáme-dárro báhkogirjje: Lule Saami/Norwegian+ Norwegian/Lule Saami. Free.
- Ordbok.sametinget.se: Northern Saami, Lule Saami, Southern Saami glossaries from the Swedish Saami parliament’s website. Free.
- Divvun.no: Southern Saami, Northern Saami, and Lule Saami orthography. Free.
Multiple Nordic languages
- Nordisk Miniordbok: an online dictionary for children and young people aged 10-12 designed to provide them with a tool to improve their understanding of the neighbouring languages. Free.
- Google Translate: very useful for translating or looking up words. It translates everything from individual words and expressions to entire websites or uploaded documents. The Nordic languages available are Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish and Icelandic. Free.
- Wiktionary: a wiki-based dictionary and reference site, which means anyone can update it and add information to the collection. Many of the Nordic languages are represented, although not all to the same extent.
- Tvärslå: a collection of several online dictionaries in the Nordic languages. Free.
- Gratisordbok.se: Free bilingual dictionaries project including several in Nordic languages. Free.
- The free dictionaries project: all sorts of bilingual dictionaries, including Danish, Swedish, Norwegian (Bokmål/Nynorsk), Finnish, Icelandic and Faroese.
- Freelang: a number of free bilingual dictionaries, including Finnish, Faroese, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian to English and English to Finnish, Faroese, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. The dictionaries are downloadable.
- Tradusa: a free Scandinavian dictionary.
Glossaries and reference works on particular themes
- Lexin bildtema: consists of glossaries that use audio and images to explain Nordic words. The glossaries are in Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Bokmål and Nynorsk. Free.
- Nordiske mødeord: Concise glossary of meeting terms, listing words that are useful for meetings with people from other Nordic countries.
- IATE: searchable database of EU-specific terms and expressions in all of the official EU languages, including Swedish, Danish, Finnish and English.
- Nordisk arkivterminologi - NAT: Nordic archive terminology (NAT) is an archive of terms in English and the Nordic languages. Free.
- NVF: Nordic traffic terminology. Free.
Collections of links to dictionaries
- Sproget.dk: Danish website that publishes links to dictionaries in many different languages.
- isof.se: The Swedish Language Council has a collection of links, including to Swedish, Nordic and English dictionaries. The website is run by The Institute for Language and Folklore in Sweden
- Lexilogos.com: links to dictionaries in all sorts of languages, including the following Nordic ones: Danish, Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian.
- The Institute for the Languages of Finland: website with a list of many Nordic dictionaries and glossaries on particular themes.