All Danish educational programmes from elementary school to university use the so-called seven-step grading scale.
The top grade is 12. This corresponds to an ‘A’ on the ECTS scale. The lowest grade is -3. This corresponds to an ‘E’ on the ECTS scale.
The scale consists of the following grades:
- 12. Corresponding to ‘A’ on the ECTS scale.
- 10. Corresponding to ‘B’ on the ECTS scale.
- 7. Corresponding to ‘C’ on the ECTS scale.
- 4. Corresponding to ‘D’ on the ECTS scale.
- 02. Corresponding to ‘E’ on the ECTS scale.
- 00. Corresponding to ‘Fx’ on the ECTS scale.
- -3. Corresponding to ‘F’ on the ECTS scale.
You can read more about the Danish grading system at the website of the Ministry of Higher Education and Science.
The seven-point scale was introduced in 2006/2007, when it replaced the previous scale, which had grades from 00 to 13.
You can find a conversion table from the 13-step to the 7-step scale at the Education Guide website.
In Denmark, Ministry of Higher Education and Science is responsible for approving foreign qualifications.
The ‘examination manual’ on the Ministery’s website contains tables for converting foreign grades to the Danish system.
This information is only available in Danish. You select your country in the drop-down menu and ‘karakter’ (grade) in the grey menu bar at the bottom.
If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.
NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.