The grading scale in the Swedish educational system

Flere rækker med borde
Akshay Chauhan / Unsplash
Read about the grading scale used in Swedish schools, and how you convert your grades from other countries into Swedish grades.

Grades at secondary and upper secondary level.

In all Swedish education, from secondary to upper secondary school, a six-point grading system is used. However, at upper secondary school for pupils with severe learning disabilities (gymnasiesärskolan), only the five pass grades are used (A-E).

The Swedish grading system for pupils in secondary and upper secondary schools contains six grades, A-F. The five grades A-E are approved (pass) grades, and F means the results are not approved (non-pass).

Each grading step has a value. Grade E has a value of 10, and the value of each grade over E increases by 2.5, so the highest value for a grade is 20. Results that are not approved are given the grade F, which has a value of 0.

  • A – 20
  • B – 17.5
  • C – 15
  • D – 12,5
  • E – 10
  • F – 0

You can read more about the Swedish grading scale on the website.

Grades at university level

University students are given grades for the courses they complete. The grades most often used at universities in Sweden are fail (underkänt), pass (godkänt) and pass with distinction (väl godkänt). Every university or university college may choose a different grading system.

Contact the higher education institution in Sweden to which you want to apply to find out which grading scale is used on the educational programme you are interested in.

Conversion of grades from other countries to Swedish grades

You can find information about recognition of foreign education on the website of the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets och högskolerådet).

You can also read more about converting your grades from an educational programme in another Nordic country to Swedish grades on the website of University Admissions (

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.