Pregnancy and childbirth in Sweden

Graviditet og fødsel i Sverige
Read about choosing a maternity hospital (BB), and what you need to do when your child is to be named and given a personal identity number.


When you become pregnant, you should contact a maternity clinic (mödravårdscentral, MVC) and arrange a time for a registration discussion (inskrivningssamtal). You can choose the maternity clinic in your county council/healthcare region at which you want to be registered. You can find information about pregnancy and childbirth on your county council’s website.

At the registration discussion, you meet a midwife (barnmorska) and discuss the pregnancy, your health, and any expectations and worries you may have concerning the pregnancy. Together with the midwife you draw up a care plan (vårdplan) for the pregnancy. If you need to see a doctor, you should book an appointment as soon as possible. You also choose the maternity hospital in consultation with your midwife. If you are registered in the Swedish population register, or covered by social insurance in Sweden, you do not pay anything for your visits to the midwife or the doctor at the maternity unit.

Pregnancy certificate

You are given a pregnancy certificate (intyg om graviditet) by the midwife. You should send the certificate to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) in good time before the birth. The certificate serves as an application for parental benefits. You may also need to show the certificate to your employer or in other situations where you need to prove that you are pregnant.

Pregnancy checks

In Sweden, all pregnant women are entitled to free checks during the pregnancy. The checks are voluntary. The first check usually takes place in weeks 8-12 of the pregnancy. You can choose which maternity clinic you want to go to, and you may switch maternity clinics during the pregnancy. You can find information about pregnancy checks on your county council’s website.


You can choose a maternity hospital, but sometimes you may be referred to another if there are no places available at the hospital you choose. Some county councils offer financial support for home births, providing certain conditions are satisfied. When you come home after the birth, you should contact the child healthcare centre (barnavårdscentralen, BVC) to arrange a meeting with a children’s nurse, who will monitor your child up until the age of five.

Personal identity number and naming the child

If you live in Sweden and give birth in Sweden, the midwife issues a birth certificate (födelseanmälan) and sends it to the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The child’s birth is then registered in the Swedish Population Register, and the child is assigned a personal identity number. When the child has been registered and assigned a personal identity number, you will receive a confirmation by post. You will also receive a form for registering the child’s given names and surname, and information about the regulations that apply when you are choosing a name for the child.

In Sweden, the name of the child must be registered within three months of the birth. The child’s name is registered with the Swedish Tax Agency.

If the child is to be baptised in a Swedish church, you should contact your parish. If you want the child to be baptised in another Nordic country, you should contact a parish where you want the child to be baptised in that country.

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.