In 2021, the Nordic Council’s Committee for Welfare in the Nordic Region is focusing explicitly on digital abuse and online threats from a gender equality perspective. If anything, the topic has become even more relevant during the pandemic.
Politicians, researchers, organisations and young people will discuss in more detail how the Nordic countries can make the Internet a safer place. Promoting equality is an important part of Nordic co-operation and of the prime ministers’ vision of a socially sustainable and equal region.
The theme will be discussed from Finnish, Ålandic, Swedish and Norwegian perspectives.
The moderator will be Annika Damström, journalist at the Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE.
- The Nordic perspective – Thomas Blomqvist, Finnish Minister for Nordic Co-operation and Gender Equality
- Thematic focus and Finland’s perspective – Eva Biaudet, Chair of the National Council of Women of Finland
- Digital hate speech in the Nordic Region, including Sweden – Lisa Kaati, Head of Research at the Swedish Defence Research Agency
- Nina Sandberg, Member of the Nordic Council Welfare Committee
- Hanna Onwen-Huma, expert, Gender Equality Unit, STM
- Touko Niinimäki, SYL, young students’ point of view
Summing up and looking ahead
Åland's Minister for Gender Equality, Annika Hambrudd