Private insurance in Denmark

Rød paraply
Here you can read about which insurance policies are mandatory in Denmark. You can also find information on the most common policies offered by Danish insurance companies.

Statutory insurance

Some insurance policies are required by law in Denmark

  • If you own a registered motor vehicle, you must have liability insurance.
  • If you have a dog, you must have dog insurance.
  • If you have a mortgage on your home, your bank will often require you to have fire insurance.

You can find more information about types of insurance in the Insurance Guide. is a collaboration between  the Danish Consumer Council  and  Forsikringsoplysningen (Insurance Information).

    Common types of insurance

    It is a good idea to have at least home contents insurance and liability insurance on your home. Often you can take out a comprehensive package which covers fire, home contents and liability insurance. Such a package is usually called a home insurance policy. In addition, it can be good to have accident insurance.

    Home contents insurance

    Home contents insurance covers you if your personal belongings, such as your clothes, furniture or bicycle, are stolen or vandalised. Your home contents insurance also covers you if water damage occurs, or if you have a traffic accident.

    Liability insurance

    Liability insurance covers you if you cause damage or injury in an inattentive moment. Private liability insurance covers the liability you or your family may incur as the result of an accident. This means that the insurance will cover you if you are required to pay compensation or legal costs in conneciton with a claim for damages.

    Accident insurance

    If you or a member of your family is involved in an accident, it can be a very good idea to have accident insurance.

    There are two types of accident insurance: full-time insurance that covers you both at work and at home, and leisure-time insurance that covers only your leisure time.

    Other types of insurance

    There are many other types of insurance in Denmark. You can find out more information about these types of insurance at the website: Forsikringsoplysningen (in Danish).

    Also, be aware that unemployment insurance in Denmark is private, and is handled by the unemployment insurance funds.

    Young people and insurance

    In many cases, you will be covered by your parents' insurance until you reach the age of 21.

    This applies if you live at home and have your registered address with your parents. It also applies if you live alone in an apartment or student accommodation.

    However, if you for example move in with your girlfriend or boyfriend, or have a child, you should get your own home contents insurance.

    Find an insurance company

    At you can compare the prices and terms of insurance policies from a number of Danish insurance companies. 

    Ask Info Norden

    Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

    NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

    Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.