Guide: Studying in Greenland

Møde for samarbejdsministrene i Grønland, marts 2015
Bodil Tingsby
Here you can read about the most important things you will need to know or consider if you are thinking about studying in Greenland.

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, you can study in Greenland on an equal footing with Greenlandic students. You can therefore apply for admission to a Greenlandic educational institution, where you can study free of charge.

Application and admission

In order to be admitted to an educational institution in Greenland, you must of course meet the academic requirements. You should be aware that there may be a requirement for Greenlandic language skills, and much of the teaching is in Greenlandic, particularly in vocational education.

Irrespective of whether you are applying for admission to secondary school, vocational training or a university course, it is a good idea to contact the institution first, to obtain proper guidance.

State educational grants in Greenland

Special conditions apply to receiving a student grant in Greenland. You must be:

  • A Danish citizen
  • Resident in Greenland
  • Enrolled in an educational programme and actively studying.

Danish and Faroese students satisfy the conditions if they are resident in Greenland and actively studying. If you do not meet the conditions, but can document a special connection with Greenland, you can apply for an exemption.

In most cases, you can take a student grant from your home country instead.

Recognition of study programmes

Before applying for a study programme in Greenland, you should note that some subject-specific programmes in Greenland are not recognised in the other Nordic countries. These are usually in the area of health and the professions. You should therefore find out whether you can get a job in your home country after completing your education in Greenland, or whether you will need further qualification/training.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.