Taxation in Greenland

Skattestyrelsens lokaler i Nuuk
Maasi Brøns Chemnitz
The Greenlandic income tax system is a taxation at source system, in which your employer withholds part of your income for tax payment. Here you can read more about the taxation rules in Greenland.

In Greenland you may have a full or limited tax liability, depending on how long you stay in the country. 

Full tax liability

If you live in Greenland or stay in the country for more than six months or 182 days, you have full tax liability. This means that you must specify and be taxed on all your sources of income, whether the money is earned in Greenland or abroad.

When you are fully tax-liable, you will receive an annual statement from the Tax Agency each year with a calculation of your residual or excess tax.

Limited tax liability

If you stay for less than six months in Greenland, you are subject to limited tax liability. This means that you only pay income tax on income earned in Greenland.

When you have limited tax liability, you will not receive an annual statement with a calculation of your residual or excess tax.

A and Β tax

The most common forms of taxation are ‘A’ and ‘B’ taxes, which are paid on your A-income (income taxed at source) and B-income (income not taxed at source), respectively.

In the case of A tax, the tax is automatically deducted from your income. 

With B income, you have to keep track of the tax and pay it yourself.

A-tax is a provisional tax, calculated on the basis of what you expect to earn in the coming tax year.
Income that counts as A income includes, for example:

  • Wages paid by an employer
  • Salary as a freelancer
  • Pension
  • Board fees

The A tax is calculated on the basis of your tax card and is automatically deducted by your employer. At the end of the tax year, the Tax Agency knows your exact A-income and will adjust your tax in accordance with what you have actually earned. If you have paid too little tax during the year, you will get a bill for the amount you owe. This is called residual tax. However, if you have paid too much tax, this is called excess tax. The Tax Agency will automatically refund your excess tax. If you have a debt to the public authorities, your debt will first be offset before payment, after which you will receive a letter informing you of the offset.

In principle, B tax is also a provisional tax, but you have to keep track yourself of how much you have to pay. You also have to take care of paying it yourself.
Income that counts as B income includes, for example:

  • Income from self-employment
  • Student grants
  • Interest
  • First sales of products from hunting, trapping and fishing

To pay the B tax, you will be sent tax bills in 10 instalments per year, based on your tax returns. Otherwise, the same rules apply with regard to residual tax and excess tax.


Provisional tax assessment and tax card

Provisional tax assessment is normally applicable only to fully taxable citizens in Greenland. To register for provisional tax assessment and obtain your tax card, visit your local tax office, or find it on Sullissivik (online public service).

Your tax card will be calculated on the basis of your provisional tax assessment, your personal deductions and your municipality's tax rate.


Tax returns and final settlement

The Tax Agency will calculate your tax returns on the basis of income information submitted by your employer. If you wish to change or modify your tax returns, you can do so online at Sullissivik. If you do not have any changes or modifications, you don't need to do anything.

Your tax returns must be submitted to the Tax Agency no later than 1 May in the year after your income year.

When the tax year is over, you will receive a final statement showing whether you owe residual tax or are due a tax rebate. The final statement will be sent at the end of August in the year after your income year. The final statement contains instructions for paying the residual tax. Any excess tax will be refunded automatically.

Double taxation agreements are agreements concluded between one or more countries. The agreements ensure that you only pay income tax in the country in which you work. If you come from a country that has a double taxation agreement with Greenland, you will therefore be exempt from paying tax in your own country while you are working in Greenland.

Among the Nordic countries, Greenland has double taxation agreements with:

  • Denmark
  • Faroe Islands
  • Iceland
  • Norway

You can read more about the individual double taxation agreements at Nordisk eTax, or contact the tax authorities in your country of residence to hear about the rules for double taxation with Greenland.

Taxation rules in relation to Sweden or Finland

Greenland has not entered into a double taxation agreement with Sweden or Finland. This means that the tax authorities in these countries may charge income tax for work done in Greenland, in addition to the income tax you pay in Greenland. This is called double taxation, because you pay tax twice on the same income. 

If you live in Sweden or Finland and are still employed by and paid by your usual employer, who is not resident or permanently established in Greenland, the following rules apply:

If your stay does not exceed 14 days, you are not liable to pay income tax in Greenland. You will then only have to pay tax on your income in the country in which you are employed.

If your stay exceeds 14 days, you will also be liable to pay income tax in Greenland. You will then have to pay tax on your income both in Greenland and in the country in which you are employed.

Contact the relevant tax authorities to hear more about the applicable tax rules.

Nordisk eTax

Nordisk eTax is a collaboration between the tax authorities in the Nordic countries. Here you can find information on tax rules, double taxation agreements, etc. as well as the contact information for all tax authorities in the Nordic countries.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.