Housing allowance in Greenland

Mats Holmström/norden.org
Here you can read about housing allowance in Greenland, and the conditions you must meet to receive it.

Housing allowance is a subsidy that may be awarded to tenants towards rent payments. To qualify for housing allowance, you must therefore live in rented accommodation. The housing allowance is also dependent on the household’s income, as well as the number of children in the home.

Are you entitled to housing allowance?

To qualify for housing allowance, a number of conditions must be met:

  • The total income of your household must not exceed a certain amount set by Inatsisartut (the national parliament).
  • The number of rooms in your home must not exceed the number of persons by more than one. However, this is disregarded for six months in connection with death or other events, such as divorce.

If you move to another rented dwelling, you will have to re-apply for housing allowance.

How much am I entitled to receive?

It depends on your income, the number of children in the home and the amount of rent you must pay. At Sullissivik (Public Service) you can calculate whether you qualify for housing allowance, and if so, how much.

How to apply

You apply for housing allowance in the municipality in which you live. You must bring the following:

  • A completed application for housing allowance
  • Your rental contract
  • National population register certificate, residence certificate or change of address notification
  • Pay slips for the past three months, i.e. three pay slips if you are paid monthly, and six pay slips if you are paid every fourteen days
  • Divorce or separation papers, if any
  • Apprenticeship contract or student confirmation from your place of education, if any

You can also apply for housing allowance online at Sullissivik (Public Service).

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.