At the ministerial meeting in Reykjavík on 27 June 2019, the Nordic ministers for business (under MR-VÆKST) adopted the Plan for Nordic Co-operation on Tourism for 2019 to 2023.
The purpose of the plan is to strengthen Nordic co-operation on tourism on behalf of the Nordic Council of Ministers for Sustainable Growth (MR-VÆKST) with the aim of facilitating and ensuring sustainable growth in the region’s tourism sector. The plan supports national tourism strategies and policies through the implementation of activities related to the plan’s objectives and a more systematic approach to national and regional challenges.
The plan has the following strategic priority areas:
- A competitive Nordic Region: Framework conditions, development of tourism policy, statistics, etc.
- An innovative and smart Nordic Region: Innovation, digitalisation, business development, among other areas, with a focus on SMEs and micro-enterprises.
- A sustainable Nordic Region: The impact of tourism on, for example, the environment, regions, and the economy. Methods for measuring impact, etc.
- An attractive Nordic Region: Marketing with an emphasis on remote markets, etc.
Together with the plan itself, the Nordic Tourism Working Group has been established in order to support the co-ordination of the Nordic countries’ work relating to tourism. In connection with this, the tourism group has been given the mandate to supervise the implementation of the Plan for Nordic Co-operation on Tourism for 2019 to 2023, as well as to exchange information and develop projects in line with the objectives of the plan and Vision 2030. Projects evolve on an ongoing basis. For further information, please contact the Secretariat to the Nordic Council of Ministers or the members of the tourism group for the relevant country.
- Nordic Tourism Statistics Dashboard (Project Lead: Finland)
- Measuring regional tourism and tourism’s environmental impact in the Nordics (Project Lead: Sweden)
- Communication activities – increasing the visibility of Nordic collaboration in tourism under Nordic Council of Ministers (all countries)
- Travel Tech Network (Project Lead: Nordic Innovation)
- X-Nordic Travel Contest (Project Lead: Nordic Innovation)
- Sustainable Tourism in the Nordic Harbor towns (Project Lead: Green Innovation Group)
- Sustainable Tourism in the North, Clean Energy (Project Lead: Iceland)
- NorReg - A Nordic Model for Regenerative Tourism (Project Lead: Iceland)
- Exploring domestic tourism in Nordics (Project Lead: Finland)
- Reboot Nordic Tourism through sustainable product development and marketing in the U.S. and China (Project Lead: Denmark)
- Local food in tourism (Project Lead: Iceland)
- Cultural Tourism - a way into more competitive and all-season destinations (Project Lead: Norway)