The report "Towards Ending Plastic Pollution by 2040" shows how concerted and common global actions can end plastic pollution by 2040.
The event consists of a Nordic high-level launch, followed by a Ministerial roundtable and an expert panel - join us online!
New York, NY 10016
Please note this is local New York time.
Plastic pollution is a planetary crisis with impacts on ecosystems, biodiversity, the climate, and human health.
Without new and effective control measures, plastic production is set to double in 20 years, and plastic waste leaking into the ocean is projected to triple by 2040.
For several years, the Nordic countries have called for a far-reaching global agreement that addresses the full life-cycle of plastics.
Agenda and high level speakers
16.00-16.20 Nordic report launch
Welcome and introductory remarks
- Thórdís Kolbrún Reykfjörd Gylfadóttir, Foreign Minister of Iceland, Presidency of Nordic Council of Ministers
- Espen Barth Eide, Minister of Climate and Environment of Norway
Presentation of report findings
- Yoni Shiran, Partner and Plastics Lead at SystemIQ
16.20-17.00 High level panel: Top priorities for global rules to drive action to end plastic pollution by 2040
- Inger Andersen, Executive Director, UN Environment Programme
- Jeanne d’Arc Mujawamariya, Minister for the Environment of Rwanda, Co-Chair of the High Ambition Coalition to End Plastic Pollution
- Marina Silva, Minister of the Environment of Brazil
- Hon. Mr. E.P.Chet Greene, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Agriculture, Trade and Barbuda Affairs of Antigua and Barbuda
- Dr Thérèse Coffey, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs of the United Kingdom
- Virginijus Sinkevičius, European Commissioner for the Environment, Oceans and Fisheries
- Timo Jaatinen, Vice Minister, Ministry of the Environment of Finland
- Dia Mirza, UN SDG Advocate and UNEP Goodwill Ambassador
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, UNDP Goodwill Ambassador
- Kirsten Schuijt, Director General of WWF International
17.00-17.57 Expert Roundtable: Enablers and essential elements for an ambitious and effective instrument to end plastic pollution by 2040
- Lili Fuhr, Fossil Economy Program Director, Centre for International Environmental Law
- Tim Grabiel, Senior Lawyer and Policy Advisor, Environmental Investigation Agency
- Allison Lin, Global VP of Sustainable Packaging, Mars, Business Coalition for a Global Plastics Treaty
- Gloria Majiga-Kamoto, Ambassador for EndPlasticSoup, Goldman Environmental Prize Winner 2021
- Winnie Lau, Project Director, Preventing Ocean Plastics, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Yoni Shiran, Partner and Plastics Lead, Systemiq
17.57-18.00 Closing remarks
- Johanna Lissinger Peitz, Ambassador of Sweden
- Ole Thonke, Vice-Secretary for Development Policy of Denmark
Support for the ongoing negotiations
The Nordic Ministers for the Environment and Climate invite to a launch of the report "Towards Ending Plastic Pollution by 2040 – 15 Global Policy Interventions for Systems Change".
The report is intended to support and inform the ongoing negotiations for an international, legally binding instrument to end plastic pollution by 2040.
It contains a set of 15 global policy interventions across the life-cycle of plastics.