Greenlandic residence certificate

Grønlandsk bopælsattest
You can read more about residence certificates here.

A Greenlandic residence certificate serves as ID in various situations in both Greenland and other Nordic countries. You must always bring your Greenlandic residence certificate with you when you travel to your home country, as you will require it if, for example, you need to consult a doctor. This also applies to Danish citizens.

What is a residence certificate?

A Greenlandic residence certificate shows who you are and where you live. Anyone who has permanent residence in Greenland may be issued with a residence permit.

You will need a residence certificate if, for example:

  • You need to contact the health service in another Nordic country
  • You are applying for a study programme
  • You wish to apply for a Greenlandic driver’s licence
  • You wish to apply for a VAT refund

The residence certificate can also be used like a passport when you are travelling within the Nordic countries.

How can I get a residence certificate?

You can obtain a residence certificate from the Public Service (Sullissivik) using NemID.

If you do not have NemID, you can have the certificate printed at your local municipality or village office for a small fee.

Rules applying to residence certificates

Greenlandic residence certificates may only be used in Greenland, Denmark and the other Nordic countries. It is therefore recommended that you take out travel health insurance if you travel outside Denmark and the Nordic countries. Otherwise, repatriation to Greenland in the case of illness can be very expensive.

If you have children under 18, they will be covered by your residence certificate if they live with you. If you wish to obtain a residence certificate that also covers your partner or spouse, you must apply to the municipality or village office with a proxy from your spouse or partner.

Your residence certificate is only valid for one year at a time, so if you need to travel again in the following year, you must apply for a new one. The same applies if you change residence.

Contact authority
Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.