Language courses in Finland

Kielikurssit Suomessa
Here you will find information on where you can study Finnish or Nordic languages in Finland.

Finnish language teaching in Finland

Basic and advanced courses in Finnish are taught throughout the country, for example at adult education centres, which can be found in almost every municipality in Finland. Teaching is provided for example in Finnish, Swedish or English. Some municipalities organise language courses for immigrants free of charge.

All the adult education centres in Finland are listed on the website of the Finnish Association of Adult Education Centres.

The adult education centres in the 10 largest towns and cities are:

Finnish language teaching is also organised for example at the open universities in Helsinki, Oulu and Rovaniemi. More information on the Open University website.

Language courses are also arranged throughout the country by various folk high schools. You can find more information on what is available at folk high schools on the folk high schools’ website.

The Finnish National Agency for Education organises intensive summer courses in Finnish language and culture at different levels throughout Finland. The Finnish National Agency for Education also organises courses and traineeships at foreign universities for foreign students of Finnish.

Teaching of Nordic languages in Finland

Courses in Swedish are organised throughout the country at adult education centres, open universities and folk high schools. The main language of instruction is Finnish.

There is less teaching of Danish, Norwegian or Icelandic, but the adult education centres in the biggest towns and cities and the open universities, university language centres, summer high schools and folk high schools organise some courses. The Norden Association also organises Nordic language courses from time to time. The language of instruction in the teaching of Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic is often Swedish or Finnish.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.