Driving licences in Finland

Ajokortti Suomessa
This article tells about driving licences and how to get one in Finland. A driving licence issued in another Nordic country is also valid in Finland.

Can I drive in Finland with a driving licence issued in another country?

Driving licences issued in the Nordic countries and in other EU and EEA countries entitle the holder to drive the vehicle categories marked on the licence in Finland.

If your driving licence was issued in another Nordic country or other EU or EEA country, you can if you want exchange your licence (not a temporary licence) for the equivalent Finnish driving licence without taking a new driving test, if you live in Finland permanently or have studied in Finland for at least six months. To exchange your licence, visit an Ajovarma service point. More information from the Finnish Transport Safety Agency Traficom.

Getting a Finnish driving licence

If you are planning to get a new driving licence, you need to take driving licences either at a school of motoring, with an instruction permit or at a training organisation.

In Finland, driving rights are granted by the Finnish Transport Safety Agency Traficom.

More information on the page Vehicles in Finland.

Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.