Guide: Study in Sweden

Bøger og computer på et bord
Photo by freddie marriage on Unsplash
International students from all over the world choose Sweden. Get a clear overview of educational opportunities, application process, finance, and housing for your studies in Sweden, regardless of whether your study period is short or long. Use this guide as a practical checklist when planning.

A university education offers many advantages. You can study a subject in depth, learn to handle large quantities of information, and develop the ability to tackle the challenges of working life in new ways.

Studying in another country also has advantages. It is positive for your CV, a chance to obtain an educational qualification in a way you might not have done in your home country, and an exciting opportunity to extend your language skills and experience a new culture and new country.

Before you start your studies in Sweden, you may have questions about the application process, educational opportunities, and practical considerations such as registration in the Population Register, health insurance, and looking for accommodation. Info Norden has produced this guide to help you on the journey to your dream education in Sweden.

Can foreign citizens study in Sweden?

Yes, foreign citizens can study in Sweden. However, the regulations vary, depending on your home country. You need not be a Swedish citizen to study at a Swedish university. There is no upper age limit for studying in Sweden.

Nordic citizens have equal access to education throughout the Nordic region, because of a Nordic agreement on admission to higher education.

EU/EEA citizens can also study in Sweden without applying for a residence permit. You automatically have the right of residence if you are working, studying, or have sufficient funds to support yourself as an EU/EEA citizen.

If you are a citizen of a third country and are planning to study at post-secondary level in Sweden for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit before your arrival in Sweden. The permit must be received before you travel to Sweden.

Can you study free of charge in Sweden?

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, or if you have a permanent or temporary residence permit (not for studies) in Sweden, you do not have to pay tuition fees in Sweden.

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you must pay registration and tuition fees for studies at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.

Read more about fees on

Can you receive student finance while studying in Sweden?

Most students from Nordic countries receive student funding from the country in which they are citizens. However, if you are a citizen of another Nordic country, in some cases you may receive student finance from Sweden, CSN. This can be, for example, if you have lived in Sweden for a long time, or if you have worked in Sweden.

Start by contacting the student finance authority in your home country to see if the educational programme you wish to study in Sweden is approved for student finance, and whether you are eligible for student finance.

Where do you find information about studying in Sweden?

You can read more about higher education on the Info Norden pages. Here you can read about the different types of education, such as university education, vocational education, and undergraduate degrees leading to a profession.

On the website Utbildningsguiden you can find current and relevant information in Swedish about all publicly recognised education programmes in Sweden, i.e. upper secondary education, higher education, and adult and further education.

On the website, you can find information about university education in Sweden.

The website is aimed at foreign students, and contains information about educational opportunities and general information about studying in Sweden.

How do you get admitted to a university educational programme in Sweden?

You apply for a university education programme in Sweden on the website On that website you can also find detailed information about whether you meet the entry requirements needed to apply. If you meet the entry requirements, you are qualified for university education.

Can you study on an exchange programme in Sweden?

If you are studying in another Nordic country, you can ask whether your educational institution arranges exchanges with Sweden. Swedish universities and university colleges often have their own agreements with institutions in other countries. There are also exchange programmes such as Erasmus+ and Nordplus.

Can you use your Swedish educational qualification abroad?

As a rule, you can use a higher education qualification from Sweden throughout the Nordic region, but some programmes are tailored to the labour market or the regulations in Sweden. Each of the Nordic countries also have a number of professions regulated by law that require authorisation. This applies in particular to healthcare and professional qualifications.

You should therefore always check the rules for recognition of educational qualifications and authorisation in the country or countries you are considering working in when you have completed your education.

Do you need to register in the Population Register when you are studying in Sweden?

It is not common to report a permanent move to Sweden if you are studying for a short period in Sweden.

However, if you are planning to stay in Sweden for more than twelve months, you should check whether you need to notify the authorities of your relocation.

Where will you be covered by social insurance when you are studying in Sweden?

Check with the social insurance authority in your home country or in Sweden whether you will be covered by social insurance during your stay in Sweden. This depends, for example, on how long you will be away and whether you will be working while you study.

What happens if you become sick during the course of your studies in Sweden?

Nordic citizens and citizens in the EU/EEA or Switzerland are always entitled to necessary health care in Sweden. This applies regardless of whether or not you are registered in the Swedish Population Register. You should bring your EU health insurance card in case you become ill while studying in Sweden.

If you are listed in the Population Register in Sweden, you are also entitled to health care benefits and receive planned health care in Sweden.

Are you covered by your private insurance when you are studying in Sweden?

Contact your insurance company and check whether your insurance covers you while you are studying in Sweden or whether you must switch to a Swedish insurance company.

It can be a good idea to have travel insurance and possibly contents or damage insurance for your home.

Do you need a bank account if you are a student i Sweden?

Contact your bank in your home country and make sure that the bank meets your needs while you are studying in Sweden. Remember to keep all your PIN codes and other relevant codes in order so that you can access the websites of relevant authorities in your home country.

If you are staying legally in Sweden or an EU/EEA country, and can show proof of identity in a way that enables the bank to check your identity, you are entitled to open an account in a bank in Sweden if you need one. The bank cannot demand that you have a Swedish personal identity number or an address in Sweden.

Must you have a student identity card in Sweden?

It is a good idea to have a valid student identity card in case you want to make use of student discounts. ISIC is an international student identity card that also gives many discounts all over the world.

Do you want your post sent to Sweden?

If you are going to be away for a long time, it is a good idea to get your post forwarded to your new address in Sweden.

How do you find accommodation when you are studying in Sweden?

Check out the accommodation options in the town or city where you will be studying. Ask your educational institution if they know anything about accommodation, and check whether they have a reception system for new students.

You can also contact Swedish student organisations, join Facebook groups - both local groups for the area in which you want to live and groups for people from your country - and put notices up in your place of study, in the local supermarket, or wherever you find a noticeboard.

If you on a waiting list for accommodation and do not get student housing at the start of term, make sure you remain on the list. Accommodation becomes vacant during the course of the year.

It is worth considering if you want to share housing or live in group accommodation. It is easier to find housing in which bathrooms and kitchens are shared. You can also widen your search geographically, so you are not just looking for accommodation in the centre. It is both easier and cheaper to find somewhere to live outside the cities in Sweden.

If you are renting private accommodation, make sure you check the agreement terms. Always make sure you have a written agreement. You should also be aware of the risk of fraud on the private housing market. You can get information about your rights and obligations as a tenant from the Tenants Association (Hyresgästföreningen).

Who can you contact if you are planning to study in Sweden?.

Contact the educational institution at which you want to study for more information. You can also contact or the Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet, UHR) if you have specific questions about admissions, entry requirements, or assessment of foreign educational qualifications.

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.