Moving to Finland

Tjekliste når du flytter til Sverige
Here you will find information on what steps to take if you move to Finland and what you should do when you arrive in Finland. These steps will depend, among other things, on whether your move is temporary or permanent.

If you move to Finland, you need to notify your move to a number of authorities. Also, moving to Finland may affect social security benefits, healthcare and taxation.

This checklist summarises the points you should bear in mind if you are planning to move to Finland. There is also information on the right of residence and the right to work, housing, language courses and bringing removal goods, a car and pets to Finland.

Right of residence and right to work in Finland

Nordic citizens do not need a residence or employment permit in another Nordic country. There are certain conditions, however, for citizens of non-Nordic EU and EEA countries and other countries. Find out more about this in the section Right of residence and right to work in Finland.

Notifying a move and population registration in Finland

Find out more on the page Notifying a move and population registration in Finland.

If you move to Finland permanently, go to the Local Register Office in person after you move and register with the Finnish Population Information System to get a Finnish personal identity code. In some cases you can also get a Finnish personal identity code if you move to Finland temporarily.

Find out more in the section Personal identity code in Finland.

Social security and healthcare

You can find information on residence-based and employment-based social security benefits in Finland on the page Social security benefits in Finland. You can find information on healthcare services on the page Right to healthcare services in Finland.

You can find information on the rules affecting employees, students, posted workers, temporary residents of Finland and pensioners below.


Social security

Find out about the rules affecting employees on the page Social security when you start working in Finland.

Unemployment funds

Also note that employees always belong to an unemployment fund in their country of employment. This means you can’t continue to belong to an unemployment fund in your home country if you have moved to Finland for work.

When you move, contact the unemployment fund for your sector directly. You can find more information on the page Unemployment funds and trade unions in Finland.


Students studying in Finland continue to get their financial aid from their home country. You can find information on healthcare for students on the page If you fall ill while studying in Finland.

If students work while studying, they are generally entitled to social security in their country of employment if the minimum conditions for employment are met in the country concerned. The same requirement also applies to researchers and grant recipients who do paid employment alongside their research work.

Posted workers

Workers posted to Finland from another Nordic country retain their right to social security in their home country. You can get more information on the European Union’s Your Europe website or from the social security institution in your home country.

Unemployed jobseekers

If you are an unemployed jobseeker and have become unemployed in an EU or EEA country, you can come to Finland to look for work for a maximum of three months while receiving unemployment allowances from your country of origin. Find out more on the page Job hunting in Finland.

If you stay in Finland temporarily

If you stay in Finland temporarily but do not work, you are not entitled to Kela benefits. You can, however, get medical care while staying in Finland.

Find out more  about entitlement to healthcare services in Finland.



You can find information on taxation in Finland in the section Taxes in Finland.

Remember to notify any income abroad to the tax authorities in your home country too. The tax authorities in your home country can advise you on questions about submitting a tax return if you are moving. 

The Nordic tax portal Nordisk eTax also contains useful information on taxation in the various Nordic countries in all five countries’ languages. The portal takes account of different removal situations and there is information specifically for students, employees and pensioners as well as those with assets in another Nordic country. 


You can find information on types of housing, looking for a home and housing allowance on the page Housing in Finland.

Other points to note

Removal goods

You can find answers to questions about removal goods in the section Customs rules in Finland.

Cars and driving licences

Questions about importing and registering a car are dealt with in the article Vehicles in Finland. 

Driving licences issued in another Nordic country are also valid in Finland. Find out more in the section Driving licences in Finland.

Language courses in Finland

Beginners’ and advanced courses in Finnish are organised all over the country, for example in adult education centres, which exist in almost all municipalities in Finland. Find out more in the section Language courses in Finland.

Bank accounts and home loans

You can find information on opening a bank account and on security for a home loan on the page Bank accounts in Finland.

Buying goods and services

You can find information on making telephone, internet and electricity contracts on the page Buying goods and services in Finland.

More information

Contact the authority
Ask Info Norden

If you have any questions, please fill in our contact form.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.