Child benefit in Finland

Suomen lapsilisä
Child benefit is intended to cover part of the expenses of a child. Here you will find information on child benefit in Finland and the conditions for it if you move or work in another Nordic country.

The Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) pays child benefit for children resident in Finland. Child benefit is paid from the beginning of the month following the birth of the child or from the month when the child gains entitlement to child benefit, for example when moving to Finland. The last child benefit is paid for the month when the child reaches the age of 17.

The amount of child benefit is staggered based on the number of children. Child benefit is tax-free income. Read more on Kela’s website.

Please note that the amount of child benefit is higher in Åland than in mainland Finland. It is paid by the Åland Provincial Government. Read more on the page Child benefit in Åland

Child benefit if you move or work in another Nordic country

Entitlement to child benefit is based on residence in the country. Payment ceases if the child and the child’s guardian move abroad permanently. In some cases child benefit can be paid to the children of workers from Nordic countries even if the child does not live in Finland. If you are entitled to child benefit in two countries, family benefits are reconciled in accordance with EU legislation. Read more on Kela’s website.

You can also get child benefit for a child temporarily resident in another country if the child is permanently resident in Finland. Temporary is taken to mean a stay in another country not exceeding 6 months. You can get child benefit even if you child stays abroad for over 6 months if the child is, for example, a family member of a student, a posted worker or a Finnish civil servant posted abroad. Read more about child benefit to another country on Kela’s website.

If you are not entitled to Kela child benefit, you may be entitled to child benefit from the country where the child lives. Read more about child benefit in the country concerned.

More information

Ask Info Norden

Please fill in our contact form if you have any questions or if you have encountered an obstacle in another Nordic country.

NB! If you have questions regarding the processing of a specific case or application, or other personal matters, please contact the relevant authority directly.

Info Norden is the information service of the Nordic Council of Ministers. Here you can find info and tips if you wish to move, work, study, seek support or start a business in the Nordic region.